Who else thinks it's kinda odd...

NOT to buy new everything (clothing) for school? I'm not including the people that cannot afford it either! My mother never got me anything literally for school( I stole a lot of my clothes or borrowed). I can afford it and get all new everything, anyone else or am I just reacting to my childhood. Oh and btw my parents could afford just didn't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in

• I think you are reacting to your childhood but that is just the way you are. My kids get some new stuff for school but I usually buy them clothing and such throughout the year so I can budget better.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't think it's odd at all. I find it odd (and wasteful) when people buy things that they don't actually need. It wouldn't matter how much money I had, I'd still choose to live frugally and teach my daughter the same.

It sounds like you're just reacting to your childhood.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I can see ONE new outfit for back-to-school...but a whole new wardrobe? Unless your kid did some major growth-spurting over the summer...How shallow!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We don't buy just for school. We buy clothing as the kids need things. To just buy new all at one time of the year doesn't make a lot of sense to me. My kids never want for anything that they need. Tomorrow's adventure is finding sneakers for the older ones. I try hard to teach the kids the difference between need and want. There is nothing wrong with want, I just have to make sure that need is seen to first.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• As kids, we got SOME new clothes for school, but not an entire wardrobe. A few of everything that we needed and all-new school supplies (except backpacks). If it could be used again, it was.
    Petite.Amante

Answer by Petite.Amante at 5:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• why would I buy new everything when DH a)doesn't need any more clothes b) ruins them faster than I can wash them anyways. If he doesn't care if it is new, why on earth would I pay more for new when hand me downs or resale clothes work just as well
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• we always got new clothes for school. this year i am just getting the minimum for my boys. they have plenty of clothes that fit and are in good shape. why would i buy new if they will outgrow what they have in a few months and need new again? that is where i am this fall. one son needs jeans. one son needs new shoes. those are all of their "needs" right now. things always seem to pop up though. like all of a sudden someones foot will grow two sizes! i wait until they need things.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I don't think it's odd. I think it's odd to purchase all-new just because one can afford to go out and buy all-new. I can afford it and I'm not about to run out and do that because the calendar says school is starting soon. That's not logical at all.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We have a really hard time affording new clothes, but try to do the best we can. It doesn't help that we have 2 September birthdays, either! Our kids are respectful of their clothes. they just simply outgrow them very quickly.
    FemaleRacer

Answer by FemaleRacer at 5:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I never got anything either.,. Its Sad..Everyone deserves to get what they need. Michael is 5. We're all jobless. I hope to get him some shoes. He and Lucas have no shoes they fit in. So when they come over they're shoeless. My DH welds and stuff is out like steel filings and shavings, Etc.. Its sad.. Everyone needs stuff. I wish everyone could get what they need. No one deserves to go without..
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 5:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010