Are you and your child(ren) ready for the new school year?

Educational current event---BACK TO SCHOOL IS HERE!

I just finished my back to school welcome letter for parents and decided to share a few of the articles with the moms here--I have spent quite a bit of time with you this summer and thought some of these ideas might help make your transitions a bit easier.

Now if theyonly had these for teachers (we keep asking for a margarita machine in the staff room, but so far, no...) LOL

http://www.nasponline.org/resources/home_school/b2shandout.aspx

http://www.amazingmoms.com/htm/bts_main.htm

http://www.nmha.org/go/information/get-info/children-s-mental-health/back-to-school--tips-for-parents/back-to-school-tips-for-parents

http://www.schoolcounselor.org/content.asp?contentid=419

It is hard to believe summer is coming to an end. Do you have any special things you do with your kids to get ready?

Youngwifey2

Asked by Youngwifey2 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My daughter gets taken to get her hair and nails done each year. Grandma (MIL) has been doing this since I've been SAH, since it's more money than I spend on my own hair in a year.

We are finishing up reading projects...they get summer homework here, and I still have to do my cm influencer shopping. She also needs new shoes, and a couple of tops. I'm hoping my ex will actually give me some of the money he owes... so that's why I'm not done yet.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We have a one on one meeting with the teacher tomorrow. In the spring we had open house so all the kids and parents were running around the room like a madhouse, but this one is just for him to talk to her and get to explore the classroom without distractions. I wish more teachers had the time to do this - she does it because a lot of the kids in the program have to change schools to start in this class. We're lucky that it happens to be taught at the same school he's gone to all along. Still, I think it would help a lot of kids to have a "pre-conference" before the year.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Loving~
    I love that your MIL spends this time with your daughter! She will have good memories and this gives her a positive self-image to carry into the new year.

Isn't that final buying blitz a beast? My ex never helped with the school expenditures but somehow we did it every year. Hang in there!
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• NP~
    I remember doing this with my kids when they were in primary grades. It is a good way to become familiar with students and parents before the real craziness begins!
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• we just started practicing letters and writing around here. i told the boys 2 days ago that summer was over!!! they are starting to read again too. i told dh that it was time to start taking them to bed earlier. one day this week i will buzz their heads possibly for the last time until next summer!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Happy--
    Sometimes it is harder for me as a mom/teacher to make that transition. No more Desperate Housewives marathons or Oprah! LOL Seriously, it is good that you are working with them to the those gears turning back toward school.
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My kids went back today! I am thoroughly aggravated and looking forward to the first PTA meeting. The A/C (deep south here people its H-O-T) but they have a dang flat screen TV in the hallway by the office. Last year when I was dropping something off at the school I got to see Tiger Woods give his public apology for cheating on his wife...good stuff for and Elementary school! AND the school board is no longer buying the teachers paper towels and construction paper. So they sent home a wish list. I have NO problem getting stuff off the wish list....BUT I do have a problem with the fact that half the school supplies that were on the list were sent BACK HOME because they weren't needed. Then why were they on the list!? And now I am tapped out for a couple weeks! That $$ could have gone to the wish list. Our school system is run by idiots LOL

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Sorry you have that experience. Do be active in the PTA!
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yeah. I feel bad for the teachers. When I worked at a daycare a few years back we had parents that were heading out to PS and they would say that PS was supposed to be FREE so they werent buying supplies! The teachers have to make up the difference! And they dont make much :(

oh and thats supposed to be that the a/c is out. LOL

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Mine start in two weeks and I am completely ready for them to start. I haven't asked if they are ready, rather I have determined that we have all had enough summer already. I have their school supplied doled out in seperate bags and we will take those to the school when they have orientation next week. They have Kindercamp for my little one (orientation just set up for Kindergarteners - all other grades go a different day). They get to meet their teacher and see their new classroom and meet all of their classmates. Should be interesting. As far as buying clothes, I might have to pick up a few things for DD because she has grown so much over the summer, but our season won't change for a while so most of their clothes will be the same as summer stuff. Shoes for both of them, I just can't imagine shopping with them right now. We just spent a three week vacation in each other's back pockets, so we all need a little space.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010