When and how? Sports for toddlers??

I am interested in starting my 2-year-old in some kind of activity... gymnastics, dance, something like that. When is she old enough and how would I get started? Are there any FREE activities like that??

Petite.Amante

Asked by Petite.Amante at 5:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is almost 2 and I'm going to sign her up with the city's toddler programs as soon as I can! I just need to get the extra cash together. I feel like if they show interest then do it. I like the city programs because they keep the age groups seperate so it will be safer than to be with 7 and 8 year olds.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 5:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I have never heard of any programs being free. If you belong to a YMCA or something along those lines they are less expensive than other places.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 5:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'm not a big fan of organized sports for toddlers, and haven't seen anything truly free. Your local Parks & Rec may have some low cost classes. If you are simply hoping to get him active, you can do all sorts for free on your own or with a local playgroup. Toddlers don't need a sport, just some games that get them off their feet or music to dance to. You can even make up your own and add some basic rules to follow.
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 5:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• dance or gymnastics would be good i dont have any girls but i started dance i think when i 2 or 3
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I don't care for enrolling children in activities that the really can't fully comprehend yet.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I don't know about things that are free but I think some form of exercise is good (I do think that 2 is a little young for organized sports... or team sports... I coached a football team for 3 year olds before and it was chaos but the 4 year olds did great!)
    but dance, tumbling, gymnastics or swim classes are all good ideas for that age level in my opinion
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 6:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I started my son with Tumbling class when he was 13 months old. It was more for the exposure to different people, places, etc. than to actually be a sport. At 19 months he really loves it and we have both made some good friends there. I plan on keeping him in it indefinitely, as the same instructor teaches all the way up to school age kids and she is really good with him. But her 1-2 year old class isn't very structured - the kids play on the equipment and with toys and balls. It is very much appropriate for their developmental level. It's through a local city rec dept and it's $25/month, which I think is totally worth it!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 6:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I put my DD in tumbling/gymnastics when she was about 18 months. She LOVES it.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010