My baby was diagnosed with gastroesophegal reflux disease. He's 2 months old. I'm giving him the medicine but does anyone have any advice on how to make it easier on him?

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 8:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• same here and my son is also 2 months. i keep him upright after feedings, try to avoid bouncing him, make sure he burps. what kind of med is he on?
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• This is not doctor recommended but it sure worked for me. I suffered for years and I mean suffered. I took every OTC med and by prescription nothing helped. I was in pain constantly for years. I came across Aloe Juice. I drank a cup of it and my pain was gone for the first time within 20 minutes...I would water some down and give the baby a little. You may want to check with you doctor first. I have given it to my little guys and it has also been sooooo helpful. hope he is better soon.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• feed him a little at a time and then burp him. It'll get better! My DD had it and was on 2 different meds, we eventually just stopped giving them to her(they were making her vomit too) and tried new things to reduce the vomiting and it went away at about 7-8 months..( upright, for 30min after eating, burping frequently, google it there are a lot of different things you can try, if he is FF there are different formulas you can try)
    Anonymous

• Gastroesophageal Reflux in Babies and Children - Topic Overview ...
    Up-to-date accredited health and medical information on more than 2000 diseases and conditions, symptoms, medical emergencies, medical tests, drugs, ...
    www.health.com/health/library/topic/0,,tb1848_tb1849,00.html -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Infant Reflux and GER in Babies and Newborns
    Colic Calm has been a true miracle and I want to help as many babies with reflux ... In contrast, GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) is a less common, ...
    www.coliccalm.com/baby_infant_newborn_articles/acid-reflux.htm
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• First of all, make sure to feed him smaller amounts of formula or BF him less, but more often. Smaller quantities of food sit on the stomach better and cause less reflux. Stick to the OTC medication as it will lesson the pain (but not the spit up). Feed baby at least 30 minutes before putting down on back and keep him upright to help keep the milk down. Use a pacifier after feeding, if you want your baby to have one. Raise the head of the mattress to a 30 degree angle by stuffing a pillow or a blanket underneath. This is only good until your baby starts to move around a lot, since he will eventually end up at the bottom of the crib! And last, (this worked for my son), lay him on his belly to sleep (if you are comfortable with it). My son slept 10x better on his stomach than on his back.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• definitely burp him a lot adn put a pillow or something under his crib matress so when he sleeps his head is over his tummy. also, as soon as you and the doctor are comfortable with it, cereal helps.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Thanks everyone! He is on Zantac and it doesn't seem to help much. The doctor said something called Reglon might help but he would prefer not to put him on it unless my son stops eating. Has anyone ever used Reglon? Should I request it? I will try all of the suggestions though..thankyou all.
    MandyAshley

Answer by MandyAshley at 10:30 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Mine had it too. She was prescribed Zantac, and with Zantac you have to be consistent...you cant miss doses for it to be totally affective. I always laid my baby on an incline and unfortunately I spent many nights sleeping in a chair upright. By 4-5 Months she no longer needed the Zantac.
    sondrajoy

Answer by sondrajoy at 1:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• try giveing about a teaspoon or so of cearel in his bottle.2 of my childrenhad severe reflux
    mom11811

Answer by mom11811 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2008