How do you help a child with extreme emotions have a good first day at school?

FemaleRacer

Asked by FemaleRacer at 5:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Visit the school before the first day. Point out the classroom and walk around the campus talking about the routine, lunchtime, recess, library, etc. Take your child shopping for the new school supplies. Include a character lunchbox or backpack. Have your child help pack lunch. Fear is usually of the unknown. The more you can prepare your child for the reality of what is going to happen the better.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• By being calm and steady, regardless of whatever emotions they display. Emotional regulation is learned, and a child cannot learn to self-regulate when "extreme emotions" are rewarded or encouraged.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Like fear,anger,what? What is all boils down to is you tell them this is what is requred of them. You cannot go along with them,they cannot stay home,etc. You will be there when they get home,there's no reason to be scared,its not as bad as you think. You be stern,but loving. If you coddle a kid,they will keep the behavior up everyday.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Honestly, the best you can do is keep yourself calm. Children feed off the emotions of their parents. If you are feeling apprehensive about how your child will act, or feeling anxious, your child will be able to tell.. Your energy and tension will make it worse if you are nervous. Try to do some calming techniques and be encouraging and positive and try to let off positive energy so your child will also feel confident! Good luck!!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Just remind them that you will be back to pick them up after school and tell them all the things they will do today....
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• warn his teachers... teach him how to deal with the emotions... if it is that bad, there is a thing called ED = emotionally disturbed... it is a label but then the kid CAN get an IEP for it = that would force the school to help them calm down.. how bad is it?? for something to be a disorder it just has to interphere with their daily lives...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 4:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My son is the same way, very emotional..but every friday in aug they have what is called kindercamp...the kindergardeners go to the school, meet their teather see their classrooms, visit the library, gym, playground ect...they already meet their classmates too...last friday when I dropped him off since they dont offer transportation for the kindercamp I was a nervous wreck......I didnt want to let go of my baby. But hes the one who told me its ok mom Im a big boy, and Ill see you when you pick me up......omg you do not know how relieved and heartbroken at the same time that I felt..... He is growing up and Im not ready. Hell be ok. Just talk to him.....did he go to headstart? any neighbor kids he knows goes to school?brothers or sisters? my son went to headstart for 2 years and is the oldest of my 3 kids...hes going to be 5 on monday, hes tiny too only 38 in tall and 33lbs.
    Good luck
    reyreybella01

Answer by reyreybella01 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• WHat do you mean by "extreme emotions" ? I don't know. I was always very calm and my kids were too. One of my daughters was very shy so I took her to preschool to learn how to make friends and socialize. After a few days of being scared and shy, she really blossomed and made some friends, I wouldn't worry. Kids are tougher than you think. iT WILL BE FINE!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Try sitting in one of the desk or chairs beside your child, and the both of you create a picture to hang on your child's desk. This can be a keepsake reminding your child that you will soon return for him or her.
    weston871

Answer by weston871 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I would suggest talking to his teach to make sure that they are aware. I would also suggest coming to school and talking to his classmates about it (on their terms without making him sound weird). Kids will notice the odd kid but if they understand what's going on they are more accepting and will ignore some of the odder stuff. If you can explain it well they won't have too much trouble accepting him which will in turn make him more comfortable and lessen the moodiness. Try something along the lines of, Do you guys ever get really mad? Well X feels mad like that a lot because his brain works differently. It's not something he wants or likes but he's trying to learn how to make himself feel better because he really likes to be happy. Can you guys make some sugestions as to what makes you feel better when you're really mad? (then listen to them). Can you guys be his friends so that he can learn how to make his brain happy more?
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 12:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2010