To buy or not to buy.....

So many of us are starting to think about christmas and I am one of them....I have a step son who will be 5 in January, My daughter will be 3 in March and I was thinking about getting her a Leapster 2. Then I thought about getting him one too. My debate is this....his house is trashed....most of what gets sent home is never seen again....I personally hate buying him nice things for that reason...but I feel bad because I want him to have nice things, I would buy it and have it kept at my house but he only comes over everyother weekend and his mother would complain that nothing went home with him for christmas.... so I am at a loss....what should I do??

mylady13135

Asked by mylady13135 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can just buy one unit and say it's for the BOTH of them, thus it has to stay at your home.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• oh wait Leapster 2 is the handheld right? UGH that just hit me afterwards. LOL... Why not buy the the one that goes into the TV then and say it has to stay because it's for the both of them?
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• the leapster 2 is great..and very expensive..def something you wouldnt want to send home with them if they are just gonna toss it in the toy box. I make my son keep his down stairs in the storage closet just so that doesnt happen and he has to have permission to play with it..(just so i know he has it out and it doesnt get tossed to the side when he is done)...buy him that to keep at your house and a couple of little junky toys to take home to mom
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Keep it at your house and get him a few little things to take home!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Buy him one and keep it in a "Special Place" for him for when he is over. That way he will appreciate it and feel it is his"special toy".

Make him feel "special" and tell him his sister uses hers when he is over.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 6:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would get it for both of them, but buy him some kid book seperate for him to take home.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 6:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I agree with SAHMinIL2, buy the the one that goes into the TV this way it stays at your house, then and say it has to stay because it's for the both of them? buy a few items that he can take home.. I feel doing it this way no one is hurt... We have several game consoles at our home i have plenty of nephews that do not take care of things as my girls do so we made judgement calls sure they wanted it too but same as you the homes are trashed ..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 6:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My husband's cousin has two sons from a previous relationship. He and his girlfriend (one son together) have one rule in their household. Anything they buy for the two boys does not go back with them to their bio mom's house. This is because it would never come back, or the bio mom would claim she bought it and never let them take it back. Either way, that's their rule. Whatever the dad/girlfriend buys for the boys stays at their house.

That's what I suggest for you. Whatever you buy for your step-son stays at your house. That way he also has nice things that he can play with at your place.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010