Long distance relationships?

Okay me && boyfriend are in long distance relationship he left to Oklahoma today.We have very strong feeling for each other he gave me a ring before he left "promise ring" well i was wondering if any one has been in a long distance relationship and if yes how did y'all keep it alive?&& are y'all still together..I want this to work out because omge he gives me such a nice feeling

noahsmommy-010

Asked by noahsmommy-010 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Not me (well kind of... my husband and I are both in the Marines so we leave alot...) But my sister had a long distance relationship with her boyfriend (now husband) for almost 3 years.
    He lived in Venezuela and she lived in Florida. They took trips together and saw each other as much as finances and work permitted. But they talked alot on Skype! It's free and it's always nice to see their face. You can have dates on skype-watch movies together.... I think Skype, e-mail, text messages, and all forms of communication are great!!
    Good luck, it is going to be hard, but it's possible!! :)
    RachWell

Answer by RachWell at 6:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i forgot to add his leaving to Oklahoma for college;( thats where my insecurities come in a lot of girls
    noahsmommy-010

Comment by noahsmommy-010 (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Just communicate as much as possible and try and see each other as much as possible
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My husband and I dated for 2 years long distance before we got married (he was stationed in TX and I was going to grad school in OK) part of that time he was also in Iraq...
    We talked on the phone pretty much every day, sent cards and care packages, and visited whenever we could. We also wrote each other long emails nearly every day. I think it really made our relationship stronger because it was more than just physical, we really got to know each other on a deep level.
    of course, whenever we saw each other (and especially once we finally lived in the same town) there was always a time of adjustment... talking face to face, being around each other, learning physical mannerisms etc...
    but I think it was wonderful :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 6:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It works for a while. you never know you may end up together. It is easier than it used to be due to all the electronic devices available there days to keep in touch.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 6:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• well i dated my now husband for 3yrs before we got married..he always worked out of town during the week and on weekends...im not going to tell you it will be easy bc sometimes its not..i suggest phone calls, texts, web chatting..there are diff things..my husband now works outta state and just left yesterday for alabama and thats 13hrs from our home sooo..im sitting here just as you are but i know the phone calls will come in and the text messages will too...if you are worried about girls etc just tell him so yall can talk things out..be up front and honest about everything...btw i have been doing this for 8yrs now and if i can make it with my jealously issues anyone can lol..i wish you the best of luck and hope things work out for you two
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 7:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• First Boyfriend = 11 Months. He lived in Tennessee and I lived in Michigan. Infact, we both still live in the same states, only I live with my husband. We are truely best friends to this day and it's been seven years since we've dated. We broke up only because we were both young and not ready for the commitment we were cotinuing into. We both moved on, stayed in touch, and continued with seperate lives.

What I will tell you is that nothing is going to work if you and him don't allow it to work. That means being accepting of opposite schedules, when he goes out and he accepting when you go out. You have to be creative in keeping the communication alive and the spark sizzling. The feeling may always be there, but it will get hard when all you have is phone and internet to connect through. It will be hard, but nothing is going to work out if you don't relax and allow it to work. There's nothing different except distance.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Well I have an off-and-on long distance relationship, by that, I mean sometimes my DH is away and sometimes he isn't. He's in the Army :)

We talk, we send each emails and pictures, etc. We just make sure to communicate A LOT.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 8:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I had one and no it didn't work out. He ended up moving to be with me but I realized anyone who would give away everything to come be with someone else probably doesn't have a whole lot going on. Yours may be different since you are long distance after being together locally first. I think it's difficult at best and your mind goes crazy on you and will keep you seething everytime they don't answer the phone at worst.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2010