Starting 10 month old on whole milk

I recently ran out of formula for my son, who is 10 months old. I was wondering if it would be ok to give him whole milk until I can buy more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if its your only choice, you cant let him starve but he is a little young. if he was 11 months i would say go for it. do you have anyone you could borrow a few bucks from? wal mart has parents choice formula for around 9$
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I was told ONE year old not any sooner. Call your pediatrician.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 6:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• hey thats a good idea adrian! pediatricians always have samples! if you tell them your nly choice is milk they will probably have you come get some samples!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It might be ok... you could check and see if there are any food pantry kind of places in your area (my church has one, for example, where you can pick up a bag of staples like canned goods and sometimes they have things like baby formula)
    also, your local health dept. or clinic might have free samples that could tide you over
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 6:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i will have to call the peditrician tomorrow, i have no money to buy formula and no one to borrow from. i just dont want to mess up my sons system
    Babyblueyes83

Answer by Babyblueyes83 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I was told no whole milk until at least 1 year. Give your pediatrician's office a call. They have TONS of free samples that they always get, I'm sure they'd set you up with enough until you can afford more!
    mamakels579

Answer by mamakels579 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You can contact food banks, wic, and your pedis office. They all have cans of formula to get you through :) Milk like this when baby isnt used to it could cause real bad stomach issues. G
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• NO.
    What are you giving him now!? I hope not whole milk. You really shouldnt. Try to get help from WIC if you cant afford formula. You dont want to go back and forth and give your child an allergy or stomach issue which is what it will do.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• No.
    Contact your WIC office and get enrolled. They will give you supplimental benefits to get you through.
    Your Local WIC office is through your local DHS.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If you're in an emergency situation here and he's just super hungry. . .well at 10 months they can have yobaby yogurt, which is made with organic whole milk. . . they can also have most solid foods . . .at least according to my pediatrician. . . I would say that maybe a few ounces wouldn't hurt if he's already tried something like yogurt or cheese, something already made with whole milk and didn't have any adverse side effects. But definitely make it a one time thing and only if you have no other options. And yes, call your ped. first thing in the morning to let them know of your situation, just in case they want to check in on your little one. . .
    Jennifina

Answer by Jennifina at 7:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010