diaper changing challenge

My one year old has become so difficult to change her diaper. Especially is she has gone poo. When ever i lay her down she wants to roll over and fight me. When i get on to her she goes to kicking andscreaming making it difficult to get her clean and rediapered. An suggestions?Being a year i am not sure if she will understand much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is normal, just do your best and continue to change her. She will eventually get used to it.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 6:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Try giving her a snack while you change her diaper or a favorite toy!!! Or a favorite blanket, pacifier just whatever she like the most just to distract her while you change her. Best of luck....
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 6:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• She understands. I had some problems with my kids but really quickly I told them no firmly and they quit. I don't mean that one time will work but if you start then soon if she starts up then it will get where you can just say NO and that will be that. Try a swat the first few times to get her attention. i don't mean leave a red spot just a get her attention. don't forget that it takes awhile to break a habit and that is what this has become!!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Chances are, if your daughter is already fighting you to change her diaper, spanking her as another person advised is not going to make her like diaper changes any more!! My son went through this phase, and it was WAY too long. It is really hard to change a poopy diaper on a struggling kid!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 6:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My son went through the same phase. We just tried to keep different toys in that area that he usually didn't play with that would keep his attention for a couple minutes. You learn to change diapers really fast during this phase!

Good luck to you!
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Give her something to play with that she doesn't normally get. For my kids tape was it! LOL They both loved stickers or tape so at changing time they would get a piece of tape draped around thier hands to play with.
    Rik-E

Answer by Rik-E at 6:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My year old is the same way! Swatting at her wont help at all, im sure she doesn't understand yet and it would probably just make things worse. I'm sure she just doesn't like to be held down, shed rather go explore and play. That's completely normal. What I do which seem to help a ton is to give him something he normally never gets to play with, like my wallet or his hair brush, just random things around the house. It keeps him occupied for just enough time time quickly get him changed.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 6:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• OMG... my 1 yr old is going through this too....i just gave him my cell phone to play with and i got to change his diaper. i've been changing him standing up every once in a while. plastic spoons, straws, anything different.
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Seems very normal. Distraction is the best tactic with my son. I have a bunch of little things near his changing table to let him play with while I wipe him up as fast as I can. Of course, I only give him things that are easy to clean incase he decides to stick it in his crotch before I've got him cleaned up (which happens sometimes). Singing also sometimes helps - another distraction method. And I grab his ankles firmly in one hand while I'm wiping him up, so that incase he starts fidgeting I've got his legs under control.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 7:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I always have a toy or book on hand for them to be occupied while I change them.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2010