What do you think??

I am naming my son after my younger brother who passed away when he was little, a friend of mine said that this is bad idea but I couldnt get her to say more then it is bad luck. But I see it as a good thing to do. What do you think??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 6:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Baby Names

• Why would that be bad? My cousin did that and when his son asked why he had the certain middle name, they told him it was a memoriam to his uncle he never met. I named my child after his grandpa, its a way of rememberance and respect.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 6:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It is not bad luck to name someone after a loved one who has died.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 6:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• That is not bad luck, that is paying tribute.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• That is a great idea, providing it's a name you like! It's wonderful to remember loved ones this way!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Well, I don't believe in Luck at all, so I can't agree or dissagree with your friend no that matter. I do, however, believe that a name used in memorium of someone who has passed is a very sweet gesture. You're not looking for your child to replace your brother, you're not looking for him to be what your brother would've been .. That would be negative if that was the case. However, I see it as you are simply saying "You're always remembered and loved". You would do the same for a grandparent, a dear friend, or a parent whether alive or not. I don't see why you wouldn't do it for your brother who passed. I think it's a sweet gesture.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I have never heard of it being bad luck. There's absolutley nothing wrong with you doing it, I think it's a wonderful idea. He's your child name him whatever you want.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My son is named after my hubby's father, who passed away a few years ago. I really like knowing they are linked in this way. I feel like his grandpa is helping keep him protected somehow, and we both felt his presences a lot when our LO was first born. It's one of the greatest compliments to name your child after someone. What a great way to show respect for someone you loved!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 6:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would use his name for a middle to honor him.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It is up to you and your spouse what name you give your child and since it is your brother who passed, I would only worry if it bothers immediate family members.
    littleegirl

Answer by littleegirl at 7:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• No, I've never heard of it being bad luck either. . . if anything, it's a sweet thing to do. I say go for it!
    Jennifina

Answer by Jennifina at 7:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2010