2 and 1/2 and talking

where was your child at verbally at the age of two and a 1/2?my son says a lot and i think he is on target but when he talks to me there is a lot that i cannot understand. idk doesnt want to make full sentences ... he can count to 14 but will not do abc's he knows his shapes and colors but plays games with me about all of it - acts like he doesnt know anything if i ask him a question about it.. its so weird. idk idk

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 6:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My almost 3 year old talks a lot as well but I cant understand half of what she says. She's very smart but just can't talk very well. She's in this thing called Early Intervention. It's paid by the state no matter what you income is and they have speech therapist come to your home and sit and talk with your chid and teach them how to say things properly.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Um it's kind of hard to know because I just moved and the speech therapist my daughter had sicked and really didn't work wit her. So now I'm in a new state and starting up. What they do it talk to them and point at things in your home and say the name of the object a few times trying to get your DD/DS to say it clearly. They break the word down for them as well. EXAMPLE: boo --- k --ca---se.
    If they haven't really improved to normal level by the time they are 3 they pay for a special pre-school for your child.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Now the pre-school you do pay for but the highest is $50 a month and those are for families that make over 150,000
    mommy_of_two388

• *sucked
    mommy_of_two388

• my daughter has been seeing a speech therapist since january, let me tell you she has come a long way. she was diagnosed with mild speech apraxia, but also her therapist thinks that it is more of a confidence issue with her than anything. if she didn't feel she could say something she wouldn't even try. so once she started to have some success she began to pick up on words and try them more on her own. if your son is counting to 14 then good job. that seems to be a little beyond a 2 1/2 year old. a lot of my daughters words aren't how we as adults speak, but i understand her, and it's a start and with time the words will become clearer. and obviously our therapist doean't see that as an issue because we just went from 2 days a week to one because she is doing so well. if you have concerns with his speech just talk to your pediatrician.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 7:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If you have concerns about your child's speech, the best thing to do is contact early intervention in your area (you can google it). Most pediatricians tend to brush it off. If your child is behind, early intervention offers speech therapy for free or at greatly reduced prices. In NC, they have to be 25% behind other children their age, I'm not sure if that's standard across the states. At 3, if a child hasn't caught up, they offer preschool services - in NC you can choose between a 1/2 day or a full day program and it's free. If your child isn't behind, at least you have peace of mind that he has been tested and is on target!

Answer by missanc at 7:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My DD is 26 months, she counts to 11 knows abc - recognizes most letters - talks full sentences, colors and shapes - can be a stinker when asked but knows.......knows where we , aunt, uncles, nana, and godmother live.
    LizaJayne

Answer by LizaJayne at 8:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My DD is 2 1/2. She knows her shapes, colors, and can count to 20 in English and 10 in Spanish. She can sing the ABC's and we are working on recognition. She is starting to get better about sentences too.

We just sing a lot of songs, read a lot, make games out of learning and watch Nick Jr shows. She loves to sing and dance. So we help encourage learning by singing :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 8:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• aw i would like to do that myself. what kind of stuff do they do? like to they work on sounds and then move up?
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Every kid is different and sometimes they like to challenge you and act like they don't know when they really do.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2010