How can i get my 3.5 year old to eat more stuff.

My 3.5 year old does not eat well. He will not eat Meat.. He has a bite of a chicken nugget maybe once a month. He refuses to even try anything new. He is very picky with what he eats, with the exception of sweets of course. He eats cereal,waffles, fruits and a peanut butter and jelly just about everyday. He will eat pasta when it's uncooked only :( I want him to try more and I just do not know how too. He eats bread- pizza crust (not the pizza part), pretzel (the big ones) He eats crackers but somehow loves flaming hot cheetos.. Any suggestions? He does also like french fries.

brandosmomm-e

Asked by brandosmomm-e at 6:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get a couple of food magazines and sit down with him and look through them. Have him pick out some meals that look good to him and then the two of you go to the grocery store and pick out the things to make the foods you saw in the magazines. Let him pick up the items and put them into the cart. Also, get him a little apron and let him decorate it. Then put the apron on him and have him help you make the meals. Things taste better when you've had a hand in making it and know what's gone into it. He'll be so proud and if you and your husband make a big deal about how great it tastes, he'll probably eat it too.
    Good luck!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 6:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes. Only offer the foods you want him to eat.

Cereal, waffles, fruits, jellies ... that's all sugars and carbs (which convert to sugars). So are pizza crusts, pretzels, crackers, and cheetos. Yes, and french fries. All sugars.

You need to give him healthy foods so he'll learn to eat healthy foods.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• In my house you eat what is put in front of you or nothing at all.....If you dont eat it or finish it at that meal you have it for the next....we live pay check to pay check and can not afford picky eaters....so my children have learned to just eat it....they are almost 5 and almost 3...and trust me...they have had left over dinner for breakfast the next morning while everyone else had pancakes or something else they wished they could have.....
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You need to give him healthy foods so he'll learn to eat healthy foods. How on earth do you eat pasta uncooked lol? Good luck to you...
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 7:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It's not like we havent tried that. He goes to a home based day care everyday since he was 2 months and even when he was given baby food, he would only eat 2/3 different flavors. The sitter cooks home cooked meals everyday and its presented to him and he still would rather just not eat.
    brandosmomm-e

Comment by brandosmomm-e (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• other than just putting the food in front of him and hoping he eats it you could try to incorporate him in making the food. it might get him excited about eating it too. i wouldn't give in to his cries for anything but what is served bc he knows he can do that and get what he wants. eventually he will get hungry enough to eat it
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I am going to try and be tougher, I just feel bad by the end of the day if he didnt eat anything but maybe that what'll take.
    brandosmomm-e

Comment by brandosmomm-e (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It's a stage. Just keep offering foods and he'll eat when he's hungry. My DS is 3 1/2 and he just now started to eat well again. He doesn't like most meats, veggies or fruit and in the last week he's been eating all of those things. Good luck!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 8:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• get all the processed foods out of the house...offer ONLY healthy foods....peanutbutter is still healthy, so can offer that...believe it or not, baby carrots dipped in peanutbutter is very good !!!! you can also use peanutbutter as an incentive...first you eat 2 bites of chicken, and one spoonful of peas, then you can have an apple slice dipped in peanutbutter.....etc....First...and THEN....statements are critical at this stage ! good luck !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• oh and when i say peanutbutter is healthy, i mean all natural just-nuts peanutbutter, not the kind with sugar and other preservatives in it.....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010