Does anybody sew? I need some help.

I am going to hem my daughters paints and I am using double sided tape. My questions is, once I use this can I wash the paints without the hem coming down.
Thank You Ladies!!! I forgot to add, I know not to use heat on the tape.

sta517

Asked by sta517 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Hmmm....... it's not heat set bonding tape? Is it permanent adhesive double sided fabric tape? I think you may need to read the label... I've never used such a thing....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I have never used the hem tap, going to bumb you though. Hope you get an answer
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 6:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i have never use dt i alway did it by hand but if you can't use hot water wash in cold
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes, it is adhesive double sided tape I got it from Wal-Mart. You can remove it, it is very sticky. I was going to have someone do it and call for a price, I have six pairs at $12.00 each. Plus I do not want to cut them because if she grows I can just let the hem out.
    sta517

Comment by sta517 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If you're just using general double sided tape and not sewing it. Then it will wash away when you was the jeans.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• JazzlikeMraz that is what I was thinking. I wish I could sew. I should have learned from grandma. So every time I wash the pants I have to do this every time OMG.
    sta517

Comment by sta517 (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• unless it's the iron on kind, it will come undone in the wash.

they make an iron on hem tape though, similar to the adhesive in iron on patches.

it's always best to sew over it though, to make sure it stays, even the iron on stuff can wear out over time.

if you're wanting to be able to undo it later though, I recommend just plain sewing the hem.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• how to hem

http://www.sewing4dummies.com/sewhem.html written instructions with image

http://www.ehow.com/video_4404453_sew-hem-pants.html video instructions

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Thank you DarkFaery131, that was very nice of you.
    sta517

Comment by sta517 (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You can get Stitch Witchery at Wal-Mart or JoAnne's, or most sewing and craft stores. It is a fusible web tape....YOU DO use heat to bond it to the fabric, and you can wash and dry her pants. It may eventually wash out, but it usually stays in really well. Hemming isn't that difficult though, don't be afraid to try it!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010