What is the best fabric for ring slings?

A friend and I are making a ton of babystuff for a craft show and I love my ring sling so much she said I should make some but I'm not 100% sure what the best fabric to make them out of. I bought mine from another CM mom. I would love any input. Also if you know where I can buy the fabric from that won't cost an arm and a leg...I"m only going to charge $25-$30 a pop if I can.

Avetay

Asked by Avetay at 7:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should use a tightly woven Jersey Fabric. With a slight texture to it, so that when you tie it/ring it it catches on itself. If you get too slick of a fabric you're not going to get it to hold very tightly. That's why it is important to have a slight texture. The jersey fabric, if tightly woven, is perfect for that little bit of stretch. As well it's a soft and light fabric. Which causes air flow and a nice feeling against the skin.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Agree with the above poster, but make SURE it's a thick, tight woven, quality jersey. Cheapie jersey is also used for t-shirts, and if you use a light loose weave jersey like that, it will stretch too much and not be stable enough to hold a baby. I'd think plain old quilting cotton would work too, but my sling had a bit of stretch and I really liked that feature.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Another thing, if you get a girly fabric, odds are you husband won't even consider using it. My wrap and sling are both blue and my husband has no problems wearing our daughter. He said if it was pink paisley, no way.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2010