• In the Spotlight:

Library courtesy??

Why do people think it's ok to have a loud cell phone conversation in a library? I really thought everyone learned about library manners in school. Or from their parents. Why am I constantly battling patrons in my library over cell phone use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You said it!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Because rudeness has become an epidemic!

Does your library have any NO CELL PHONES sign? Because it should.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It's just common sense people! Thank goodness you're trying to address it. Many libraries don't and it's annoying beyond belief!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I agree.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 7:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I never heard anyone on a cell phone at the library. That's probably because I have my touch going with head phones and ignore everyone!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 7:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Where I work, there is a "no cell phones on in the library" rule - but they don't enforce it. It's really absurd. The library should be a place to go to study or work, not to make/take phone calls. It's very rude of the patrons to do this, but even worse when the staff does nothing about it!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I hate it when people are on the phone in the library. It's distracting. And it's rude.

Our library claims to be a "working" library - that is, not silent because people may be working cooperatively. But really it's just people talking loudly about non-academic stuff, library staff shooting the bull, and inconsiderate fools on their phones. YOU CAN'T WORK IN THIS ENVIRONMENT!
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 7:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'm still trying to figure out what is so damn important that people need to be on the phone all the time... in the car, in line at the bank, in front of the milk, blocking the check out, while browsing the books in the library, while on the computer at the library, while the storytime teacher is trying to read a book out loud at the library....

This is why I don't have a phone....not much going on with me that I need to be telling someone every time I blow my nose.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Our library has signs everywhere, but nobody looks at them. Often when I have to go tell a patron to get off the phone or take it outside, they give me a nasty attitude. It's absurd really.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• there is no such thing as courtesy any more. people are just flat out selfish. i hate cell phones. a part of me wishes they didn't exist.
    norasmama

Answer by norasmama at 7:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010