Laundry Detergent on the cheap...

I thought I would share my journal today with you wonderful ladies. I posted my homemade laundry detergent recipe and instructions. I'll leave the link in the first answer if anyone is interested.

WoodWitch

Asked by WoodWitch at 7:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• WoodWitch, I make just about the same detergent although I don't use the glycerin and I use a whole bar of Fels per batch. Fels here is .99 a bar and the powders are the same price as you're paying.

I've got SLE and had no choice but to find a detergent (and soap, shampoo, etc.) that didn't have the sulfates in. I don't have the butterfly rash, I have an all over rash ~ and everything makes the rash worse except this detergent.

The original recipe I had called for the glycerin, but by accident one day, I discovered a way to make this come out gelled, but firm instead of gloopy. I add the powders to the original quart of water and stir until it 'thickens', like pudding *about 20 min. total*, split it between two gallon jugs, and fill with hot water. As it cools I occasionally use a stick blender to keep it mixed. When it's done you can tip the jug on it's side and nothing spills ~ but it scoops with a measuring cup.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• love it. . . I make a 5 gal. recipe which doesn't take glycerin tho. Love the post!
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 7:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• thanx
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 7:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• awesome, I may have to try it
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i love my homemade laundry detergent. I made my first batch the beginning of April and I still have about a third of it left.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Thank you so much for sharing this, I've been wanting to try my hand at making laundry soap (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Thanks for posting this this is what this part to me is about helping others find good ways to save and help out someone else in the process. I am going to have to give this a try.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Loved the journal--can't wait to gather the ingredients and give it a try!
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• WoodWitch

Comment by WoodWitch (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• The glycerin keeps it smooth instead of glumpy! I'm experimenting with a version of this for my dishwasher.
    WoodWitch

Comment by WoodWitch (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2010