bad breath in a toddler?

my son is 20 months and sometimes has bad breath. we brush his teeth in the morning and before bed but he still ends up with it. is this normal?

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 7:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get his adenoids checked out by an ENT.

my friend's little boy had a problem with his, had them removed and WOW! bad breath problem fixed too!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• it depends..... it could just be stinky breath from something he ate, but sometimes bad breath can be caused by sinus infection or cavities. so if he's been to the dentist and has no cavities, and he has no signs of a sinus infection, you might try to think if it's something he's eating that's causing it. my dentist says it's good to brush their tounge too. that might help (imagine what fun that is lmao)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• he actually loves to have me brush his tongue. he knows we brush it at the end and sticks it out, its so funny. he hasn't been to the dentist yet, i was told to wait until he was 2.
    sweetjpea

Comment by sweetjpea (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• hmm, well i guess it depends on the dentist. we go to a pediatric dentist and he wants them to come in at 1yo. have you asked the pediatrician about it?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Does he go to the bathroom regularly
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If he has a pacifier when he sleeps, that's probably the reason. My DS had stinky breath when he was an infant when he woke from his nap when I took the pacifier out of his mouth. It makes their mouth dry when they sleep, maybe that's why. No more bad breath without the pacifier here.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• no pacifier, and he goes to the bathroom regularly. i havent asked the pedi yet, but i may call soon or call a dentist.
    sweetjpea

Comment by sweetjpea (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'd call doctor.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2010