has anyone gotten a brown pigmentation during/after pregnancy

on their belly? i was at the pool with my son and walking back i see this girl who looks like she somewhat recently gave birth - stretch marks and super loose belly skin. she was wearing a bikni which i thought was weird.... she had this brown in the middle of her belly mess too.. it looks like a pigmentation issue - what do you think it was? i am just curious cuz it was so brown i had to take a double take lol

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 7:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• lol, well sometimes it is not so neat, but i think that's definately what it is. i would say that bf doesn't help it go away faster. i ebf all of my kids and when i got the hyperpigmentation dark, it stayed dark until i was done breast feeding them. if it was only slight, it usually went away gradually. it's a hormone thing, so i guess it would depend on what your hormone levels are (if that makes sense lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i had a lina negra (idk if that's how you spell it lol). it's basically a stripe up the middle of your belly. i got it with all 3 of my pregnancies, but in the first two it was much darker than in my last one. it is normal and very common
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I havent personally but have seen this on woman before. It happens to some woman, especially those with olive or darker skin I belive.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• lol this was just a big mess of brown all over the middle of her belly. I got the strip too. i wonder if what was going on there could be from fake tanning lotion or something? lol it was so weird i shy so i would hide my belly if it looked like that :|
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• oh and this girl was very pale. maybe a twinge of a sun but otherwise very causation
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Its called the linea nigra and is very very common. My little sister is practically albino, so hers stuck out like a sore thumb. Anyway, they gradually get lighter, though some never completely go away. Its considered part of the "Mask of Pregnancy." Some women also get the pigment around/under their eyes, and around their face. I believe the same hormone is responsible for the darkening of the areola. But yeah, completely normal and it can happen to any woman during any pregnancy.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 8:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Oh yea! i kind of thought it would be apart of the mask of pregnancy...

is there any validity to myth that breast feeding will help make the pigmentation go away or lessen more/faster? i have a friend that told me that. i only got the minor line and it disapeared without me even noticing after my son was born..

thanx lilbeamercomin!
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2010