i don't really know where to put this...so i'll put it here...

i'm about to graduate with my Bachelor's in accounting...I've had some interviews and am currently working an internship at a local CPA firm, but I've been thinking about joining the military. when i graduate, with a 4 year degree, what can i expect? my husband doesn't want me to go either, but somehow someway i think i should! I want to serve my country!

We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Would that be so bad if mama had to leave to go to boot camp (or officer school I think it's called if you have a Bachelor's)?

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 4:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Relationships

• Also, I'm about to turn 28, if that helps...
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:07 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• i think u should go to officer school. thats what i want to do... u can request to go to a non deyployable unit, some work with u other wont..... look around talk to air force navy and army.. see what u like and take u time choosing....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Also, look into the Coast Guard Officer School. They do not have the same deployments like the other branches do and also, if you do get stationed on a cutter, you are only out for about 2 1/2 months at a time and it's usually a three year billet. BUT, if you do this, then you need to also realize your husband is going to have to be willing to move every 2, 3, and 4 years depending on your billet and be the one who will need to be able to be home for your children, since the military is a very demanding employer. Also, I'm not sure how the officers billets work, I'm just going off the Petty Officers schedules. I was going to do something similar, but with my husband already being in and the chance that we wouldn't be able to be stationed close to each other and having a 2 yr old outweighted the idea of joining. Hope this help and if you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message!!
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 6:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• No you would not be a bad mom, you are doing it to make a better life for your kids, go to officer school.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I think your kids should come first. I would say don't go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I think u should go ahead and do it. Go to officer school(after that, u will get PAID!!!! Ur husband wont hate after that and seeing the money u will be making) try to put the airforce on ur first priority. My dh is Marine so I know, ur career will come first and kids/family last in the marine corp. The airforce is one of the best services esp for women. The army second, u might be on ships alot in the navy. Good luck
    sahm03

Answer by sahm03 at 7:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• If you can take care of your kids with sufficient finances while getting a job that will keep you with them, just do that. I would love to go live on the moon and make a killing selling moonpies but um, the kids are back on Earth. That's a no-go.
    atlshine

Answer by atlshine at 8:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I agree with your husband.Your kids will miss you.and you will miss all those precious firsts that kids have.Maybe you should just pursue something that keeps you close to home.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 8:32 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I have a friend who is in the military, and she has small children. She siad that if she would have had the kids before she never would have joined. Now she is getting orders to go overseas and she doesn't know when, or if she is going to come back to her family in the states. Personaly, I would say not to do it. In these times even if you are in a non combative unit, you are having to go into a war zone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Ive been a MIlitary wife for almost 4 years now. I just recently got pregnant. I have seen my fair share of Moms who have stayed home and Husabnds off to war, or even just out in the field for days. I think Officer school is the best choice. You should really talk to your husband about it because once you join, you have so many years until you are allowed to get out. I dont think you would be a bad mom for leaving your children temp. I think by now, with everything going on in the world, your 6 year old should know what is going on.
    allisonmp120

Answer by allisonmp120 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2008