stupid cat.. anyone else have a stupid cat?

found starving stray 6week old kitten@doorstep.took him in&dewormed,bathed,ect.healthy other than prefers to pee anywhere but litterbox.always poos in box,but anything more convenient than box is best for him.carpet,cabinets,clothes/clothes drawer,plastic bag,anything. tried everything-put out many boxes&cleaned daily,took@regular intervals to box&waited for him to go,treats when he went,put him oustide after'accident'[terrified of outside now]he knows how to go in box.tried diff litter brands and types.cat now 5 months old&locked in a room with a box[still gets plenty of socialization].can't get rid unless we find a good home, doubtful because of problem.assume he was born outside and is used to going whereever he feels inclined.. not going to work here. dumb cat!! anyone else have such a hard time getting a cat to go where they are supposed to every time??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Pets

• I read that getting them fixed helps them quit peeing everywhere. I'm not sure if that's only for male cats though.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• When you find the answer let me know. I've had a stray cat for 3 years. She is an indoor cat and we breed her one time with another male cat. Since having the kittens she wants to potty in corners. I also had to enclose her in a room to prevent my home from becoming the litter box. In the enclosed room she has not had any accidents. Kinda strange!
    tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• There seriously are cats with intelligence???????????????/
    Just kidding. I love my kitties.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• kittens are really hard to train to use the litter box, I would on the hour just put them in the little box and let them try it out. I would also try a cover litter box to see if that does anything.
    Kanami

Answer by Kanami at 2:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I would put litter boxes where your kitty wants to go! Some cats are really strange. My cat wanted to pooped on this rug. No matter that we have 4 litter boxes in the house. We moved the box to where he wanted to go and now he uses the box! We do have 3 cats, but each has his own box. I put extras every where. Seems to do the trick even it seems extreme. Good luck! Cats are strange!

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 6:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• we have a crawling, investigating baby. we can't put a box everywhere the cat decides to go- there would be one or 2 in every room. nasty. he would probably just start peeing next to the boxes. i've tried taking him to box at regular intervals and all other suggestions, as well as trying both closed and open box types. we have an older stray that is beginning to think its ok to just pee whereever- he's not neutered and he had one "accident" in diaperbag before they got locked up [had to toss everything in it]. idk what the psychological issue is here, there's no medical evidence for this behavior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2008