More of a vent than a question, I guess.Teen Stepdaughter and Mother inlaw... :(

I have 3 step kiddos that are all teens.One is a 15 year old girl.We get along very well, she is a very sweet and outgoing girl..typical teenager. Something has happened and I don't understand why.My feelings are so hurt. My mother in law called me today & told me that she had to ask me if I thought that she didnt like me and that I didnt like her? I love my mil. I think she is one of the nicest, most generous women I know!She told me,my step daughter told her that I thught she didnt like me and that I didnt like her.Why would she say something like that?I NEVER even uttered such nonsense! And if I did..I wouldnt say it in front of a child!So,my poor mil was at our house all day yesturday for a going away party for my stepson,thinking that I didnt like her.In one way,Id like to ask SD why and then, I think I should let it alone since I cleared up things with MIL ,I dont want to feed into the drama.What would you do?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 8:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• my daughter turned 19 recently and for several years she has a way of interpreting things said that i really don't understand... she can make drama where there is none and believe what she is saying it seems. my guess is she must have overheard something or twisted some conversation... sounds like she is not the kind of kid to make stuff up? just tell your MIL you are glad that you have the kind of relationship where she felt comfortable enough to approach and ask and assure her you feel the same about her and would let her know if there were any issues rather than involving a child.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Ask the stepdaughter. Maybe she honestly though something was wrong. This will bug you if you don't clear it up. It's great you got things cleared up with your MIL. But you should get it cleared up with your SD, too.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think you need to let the step daughter know you cleaned up a mess that she created and some very important feelings were hurt badly. That if she has concerns she isn't clear about she needs to discuss them with you. If she did it genuinely to fix something she was broken (not just stirring the pot), then let her know you will handle such adult things. Family is important, as she is, and if you have a problem with someone, you will take care of it. Is there more to this story? Seems strange that is all that there is for a child to step out of no where to do something like that.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think you really should have a Little Chat with SD about this b/c i have a feeling it will effect your relationship with her in the long run- You are both very Blessed to have a great relationship, especially with her being 15! Having a talk with her doesn't mean it has to Drama involved- i would just let her know that she really Hurt your feelings & your MIL's over something that was Never said & that you hope she will Think long & hard before she does something like that again- Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• you should have a talk with ur step daughter & ask y she wud say such thinG!
    lovely163

Answer by lovely163 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• That really is all to th estory that I KNOW of. I havent gone prodding and asking around, and I don't intend to either.There very well may be something more to it, but I would have no clue as to what. Sigh.
    A friend of mine that is a step mom to a drama queen teen has suggested to me that I just let it alone. I think I'll do just that.I am hurt by this but I am a grown woman, I will get over it. I have a feeling its just something to get drama started and I really don't want to fall into it.
    Thanks for all your support and advice! I really do appreciate it :)
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010