addicted to popsicles...

my 16mo ds is addicted to popsicles, he can eat about 3-4 Otter pops A DAY! not all at once of course :P Is this bad? He is teething pretty bad, getting his bottom back molars in so i know it really feels good to be biting on the cold popsicle but i am kinda concerned with how much sugar these probably have. we brush his teeth regularly though... anyone else's kids LOVE popsicles?

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 8:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my sons love popsicles too, but i have to be careful about what kind. i used to get the 'naturally sweetened' kind, but it turns out they were sweetened with grape juice and that gives my middle child the runs. so i have to read the ingrediants verycarefully lol. but yes, they love them. i get some that are made of fruit and pear juice now. they're really good :)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My son loved them when he was around that age. I'd try to get the more natural juice ones when I was giving them to him (I don't know what otter pops are so those could be 100% juice, I just don't know). Also, I was totally hooked on them when I was pregnant! I used to joke that that was why he loved them so much :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My daughter loves otter pops as well, i start switching them out for the sugarfree pops. She loves them. they are the ones in the yellow box.

Or you can make him some homemade pops.

i think either one would be better then otterpops because of the pure sugar in them and his soft teeth!
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 9:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I actually put an ice cube in a washcloth and tie off the end with a ponytail holder. My LO loves this and it doesn't make a mess and it is just water if it melts. Call me crazy but my 2yo has never had a Popsicle and she doesn't know what she is missing. LOL BTW she is cutting her 2 yo molars and she is constantly asking for "cubes"
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i think all kids love popsicles. it's up to you, as a parent, to limit them to a healthy amount. i agree with other moms here, find a healthy alternative or, just say no after a couple pops!
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 9:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes it's bad to give that much sugar. You could give crushed icecubes instead.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 11:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2010