How is it not hypocritical to tell gays to get over the name Marriage and name their union some thing else mean while ...

The name is so important to those who say it?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i think that is a great way to resolve this issue myself. i think alot of people associate marriage with religion, and that is the main sticking point to this whole same sex marriage debate. i think that they should be able to unite the same as traditional couples, and that union should be equal in the eyes of the law. a marriage can be done outside of the church (well, you go to a justice of the peace instead), but usually people associate it with some sort of religious ceremony. i'm not saying it's true or right..... just saying that that is what all the hubub is about. i think if gay marriage were called something different it would not be so debatable kwim?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• How is that fair? How is marriage a religious thing when I my money to get married went to the courts, and I did not have a priest? How is it ok to just give in to those who want to control people?
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i didn't say it was fair..... i never said i agreed with it. i said that the debate is over the word marriage bc some people do think that it's strictly a religious thing. i think it would be much much easier to simply change what it's called (instead of calling it gay marriage, call it something different) than to try to change the minds of millions of pig-headed people. i think it's always better to try and compromise (and this goes for many things in life). what gays want is for their relationship to be equal to that of a traditional couple. that is the main goal..... i don't see what the problem is with just calling it something different. you are getting the rights you want (and i agree with that), and you're shutting up the opposition. everyone would be happier than this fighting back and forth. and btw, i clearly said you don't have to go to church to get married.... you can get it done by a justice of the peace..geez
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• OH OK I think I might have misunderstood what you were saying. I don't like the idea of having to change the name that is in no way fair.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• yeah, but it gets the job done as my dad would say. i think it's silly to be fighting over the name. call it something else, if it's a different name and the same principle then i'm happy lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i said that the debate is over the word marriage bc some people do think that it's strictly a religious thing.

What ! Use of the "marriage" is strictly a religious thing? Wrong- I do not know anyone who refers to the relationship they have with their husband/wife as being a "union". 100% of the people I know say, "I am married or we're married."- whether they are religious or not. Further, I truly do not think this is a fight over semantics for many folks- these "pig-headed people" you refer to do not want the gay and lesbian community to share the same rights. They just do not. They are right, their marriage is a blessed sacrament and sacred, and the balance be dam*ned-

Separate but equal does not work. Have we learned nothing from the past?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I agree PrincessBeth. It would really be that simple.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 9:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• princess, sisteract presented my point.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• sisteract, i have heard many people on tv in the debate of this topic. all of them used that as their main (and often only argument). a marriage is a covenant to god between a man and a woman, blah blah blah. and hun of course 100% of people say their married regardless of their religious preference. they went and got a marriage liscence, right? they are married. why would they call it something different? that would not be accurate.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My point princess. It is not the same, there is no fairness. The name should not be changed. The religious people have no real argument and this is a free country. Free from religion and religious built laws. They need to accept it and deal.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2010