Sleep Issues

My Daughter is 9 months old. She still doesn't sleep through the night.I try to get her to eat something a hr before bed I also do breastfeed her at night. Does any one else have this problem. Please any suggestions to get her to sleep...

Liz003

Asked by Liz003 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son still gets up sometimes and he's 2 but that's usually because he's dropped his binky or something.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 9:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• First, 5 hours is considered a "sleep through". The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch. Contrary to popular belief, when left alone and not forced to sleep when not tired, most babies sleep when tired and are efficient sleepers.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My daughter has been having sleep issues, but I think it's because it's been unusually humid this summer. She's been getting up 2 to 3 times a night. It seems to be common these days. Once fall gets here, I'm thinking it'll get better.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 9:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i think some kids have different needs. my 2 month old is sleeping through the night, but not my 2 yo's!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My son is still waking up in the middle of the night from time to time and he's 17 months old. The minute anything at all is wrong - teething, cold, etc - he's awake. AND he was sleeping through the night for the most part at 3 months old. Sooo...when is it over?? lol At this rate, seems that amileegirl is right that sleep patters won't get regular for quite some time yet.

It always helped me to keep it completely dark and quiet in the bedroom when my son would wake up to eat. That way, he doesn't expect to play or get attention...thus, he gets bored (now) and lays back down to go to sleep. I'm convinced that the routine wins it with babies and little ones...as long as they know what to expect from you and that doesn't change from day to day, they'll eventually fall into a good rhythm with you for your sanity's sake!
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2010