Do they have too?

I was recently in the ER for something non-pregnancy related. They did do a pee test but I never heard about those results. I overheard a nurse outside my door saying something about someone being pregnant and she came in to do my vitals and she was being really nice which for some reason came off strange to me. Every sentence ended with sweetie, hunny or something nice along those lines. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated her kindness but I found it weird. I still never heard about those results but I've had symptoms and plan on testing myself within a few days. This is not an am I pregnant question, I AM testing in a few days to find out.

I just want to know if the ER *HAS* to tell you if your test comes back positive? I barely saw the doctor and I'm not sure if nurses have that right to tell you but I'm really wondering if they were talking about me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't know... but you would think they would have to disclose something like that right?
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'm not sure they would run a pregnancy test on the urine unless you asked them to or if the original problem you came in for warranted it. If they DID run it, I think they would most certainly tell you the results to protect you and the pregnancy AND the ER! If you are pregnant, congrats!
    ramawin

Answer by ramawin at 9:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would think you were entitled to those results. Why not call and ask them for the results? I sure would.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i would think that if they gave you a test, that they would tell you what it was and the outcome. you can call and ask.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• they are obligated to give a urine test to everyone who could be pregnant. it is just so they will not hurt the baby with drugs or testing. idk if they are obligated to tell you, but i think they probably would have. you could have asked lol. save you the time of doing it again
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You have the right to know what any of your test results are, so call and ask for them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Ask them!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 10:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• They always run a pregnancy test if a girl is of child bearing age. However they should tell you if it came out positive. It's possible they were discussing another patient. Call and ask for the results of your urine test.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• They have to do the UA for every female of child bearing age to prevent them for providing a treatment that would hurt a developing baby.

If you were pregnant chances are they would tell you. The few times I have been in there and not been pregnant they make sure to let me know that I'm not.

You can call the ER and tell them what night and approximate time you were in there and ask what the results were and they are required to tell you.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010