what makes a person shy? how do you stop being shy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• when i was shy it was from low self esteem. i lost weight and started to gain confidence, then i wasn't shy anymore.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Being self conscience makes person shy, is what I think.
    So to overcome shyness...a person would have to really start liking and loving themselves for who they are and find a reason to be confident.
    A confident person shines. Learn to feel good about yourself all the way around, from the inside out.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I don't know what makes a person shy. I was a very shy girl growing up. I hid behind my mom for years even up into my early teens.
    What finally got me out of my shell was theater. No joke. Being around those kids who are more out going and have strong personalities rubbed off on me. I find myself having more confidence and as I have grown older more sociable. I am able to approche someone instead of waiting for them to make the move.
    Also working in retail really helped get me out of my bubble as well. You can't avoid not dealing with tons of strangers day in and out.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• How about living in a bad household. Being told children should be seen and not heard. Abuse Etc.. Threats.. When I was Shy.. I got a job being a server. I figured I needed this job and I couldn't be shy and do my job well. That's what worked for me.. However re.. Customer's like this,.. When I'd say Excuse me. When reaching or serving. They'd go why did you fart? Or when I'd serve food. I'd hear what's Hotter, you or the hot sauce...? I think it can be over come. I did it. Good luck to you!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• One aspect of shyness is catastrophic thinking. Shy folks feel they can’t talk to others yet if you actually listen to casual conversations there’s very little personal or emotional content. Practice on people you know. Start up a conversation with your relatives and see how it goes. Keep in mind, social interaction is an acquired skill just like driving, working, education, etc. The more people you interact with, the better your skills be
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 9:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i'm shy. i was the kid that everyone did not like. i had a crazy bully in the 6th grade who looked my in the eye and told me to kill myself. otherwise pick apart everything about me from head to toe. literally my feet even. i have a large space between my big toe and 2nd and i went barefoot to a swimming even for a summer program and the other girls teased me til i didn't want to move. i was teased about moving, raising my hand, breathing, eating.... everything. i was confidence when i was a very small child but it fell apart when i got older - 1st grade-ish... people took that as their hint to move in. i am at the age of 24 trying to fix the damage done. i developed so many problems that it took years to over come.. bleh fear-anxiety=shy
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 9:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• some event can make you more shy than your really are and make it worse. That is what happened to me. I was really outgoing and then bam add weight issues and I was really shy. It was awful. Still am very shy. But around family and friends I am good.Losing weight helped. Sorry it really did make shyness not as bad. I just do not need to talk to 60 out of the 60 people at a party. It is so not me. Go figure being the life of the party one minute and really shy too.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think that it is more part of ones personality. Being self concious might have something to do with it but we are all preprogrammed with certain personality traits. I think that it can be learned to be more outgoing but if you are naturally shy then it is hard to break out of.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I was shy up until the 9th grade.. I found confidence in music and thru my friends I blossomed.. I now have 3 children, and I don't have time to be shy.. I'm a mother, I am stronger than I have ever been.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2010