Breastfeeding HURTS!!!

I am a nursing mother of a 7 mos old, & shes only BF fulltime and wont take a bottle. Right now my tatas hurt so badly and feel so sore. why is that? they dont feel full, they are just painfully sore. also she keeps biting my tatas and it hurts. I tell her ouch and no but she thinks its funny and laughs. please help!

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe not properly latching on. Try some Lansinoh breast creme.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 9:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My third baby did that at nine months, the biting. About the sixth time in two days she bit me to the point I was bleeding I stopped cold turkey. It hurt me to do so because I'd nursed my first two MUCH longer but I couldn't take the pain. If they are hungry they will eat. If you need to stop, stop. I tried to just pump and give it to her but she'd bit me up so much it looked like v-8 juice. Enough was enough for me. I hope it gets better for you.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I know when I was having a problem with sore nipples, it was because I had a clogged duct. Try putting warm water on it for a few days and see if that helps. Also targeting it with warm water in the shower helps too....
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 9:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I thought you were gopnna say it hurt all the time but she's biting, so that's why-
    I'd say when she bites, tap her on the nose, and unlatch her, saying a firm "No" then put her down. She will hopefully learn that it's not funny and not to do it if she wants to eat.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• When she bites remove her for a few minures. Assosiate biting with no nursing.

Could you be getting ready to start your cycle?
    Pregnancy?
    Infection?

ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I had the same problem with mine at 7months. I don't know if this helps but I just bf at night and I formula feed during the day. I didnt want to formula feed I felt really bad doing it but I couldn't handle the pain of her biting. At night she is calmer and happy to bf. No more biting.
    Liz003

Answer by Liz003 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If they became sore for what seems to be no reason, it could be thrush. I had it and it hurt so bad, I could have cried everytime DD nursed. As far as the biting goes it is a game that she is going to play until you put a stop to it. With both of mine I would do this...when they bit, I would pull them off and say "no bite" then let them nurse again. If they bit again I would pull them off, say "no bite" and put them down and stop nursing for 10-15 mins-no matter how much they fuss. You have to do all of it with out showing you are upset or saying ouch-they want a reaction out of you. This method worked very quickly with both of my kids.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• she is biting you..... that's why it hurts. when my babies bite me, i push their face into my boob so they will let go (hey, don't give me crap lol..... the lactation consultant and my pediatrician told me to do it that way!) they will let go and pull their head back. then i say no more biting. and i put away the boob. they really are pissed lol. then i wait a few minitues and try again. pretty soon they will understand that if they bite they will get the boobie taken away, so they stop. the lanolin cream helps to heal it up though. i know it hurts :(
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Both my girls never took bottles. My oldest bit me a few times and it surprised me so much I screamed. I told her firmly, no and feeding time was over. She didn't bite very much after that. If the pain continues check with your doctor, your baby's doctor, or a lactation consultant to get some help. It'll get easier because soon your baby will be starting on solid foods and will not rely on your boobs as much.
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 9:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• oh yes it does hurt and I was told my baby was latching on just perfectly....it just plain hurt. He sucked so strongly it was unreal. I'm sorry...it does hurt.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010