Are your kids still in your bed?

Im married and my kids are 4 and 1. And we have what you would call a family bed! I like it. Though I am not so sure my hubby feels the same. I just feel better knowing they are right there incase something was to happen (fire or a break in)Do you think they are too old to be co sleeping? Or do you have a family bed? ? Hate it or Love it? I wanna know!!!

Anangelsmommy7

Asked by Anangelsmommy7 at 5:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• I realize though that when I do start him in his own bed, that our bedtime routine will not change but that I am going to not sleep well for awhile and miss him terribly. My DH has a crazy work schedule and alot of nights he's not home, so having my little guy next to me will be lonely. ( he loves to share my pillow with me and his new monkey Hannah(stuffed LOL) He even covers her with the sheets. If you feel that your husband is feeling left out especially in the intimate area, then maybe you need to find ways to somehow move the kids out a few days a week, like have a slumber party in the living room, with tents made out of blankets and chairs, It's harder with just one kid and doing that but I might try that too. At least we can finally do it in bed again!!
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 6:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• We do not have a family bed. My kids will still come in to our room, in the middle of the night and then depending on why they might sleep with us. My kids are 11, 9, and 6.

For me, I wanted to be able to have sex with my DH whenever we wanted and I wanted my children to learn some independence. I still check on my children every night before I go to bed and I can hear them, if I wake up in the middle of the night.

I think that if your family is okay with a family bed then that is great. If you husband does not feel the same way then I would talk to him about it and see what he thinks might be a better solution.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• LOL I guess it depends on if he's hogging the bed, and it's a king size at that. I started him in his own room about a year ago, 15 mo old at the time and it started out horrible then he would sleep most of the night before waking up sometime freaking out and come to our bedroom. But it got to the point where his little crib mattress wasn't enough to let him turn so he refused to sleep in it anymore. So he's been with us every since. I agree with you on the point of feeling better that they are right there with you. My little guy is now almost 2 1/2 and I'm ready to put him in his own bed to bring the fun back in bed w/DH. I bought little man a fun bed with a twin, which is on the floor in case he falls out. But haven't really stuck to my guns and made him sleep in there. But then the cat has claimed it as hers and so I need to get her a cat bed. Cont in next answer.......
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 6:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My daughter turns three on Thursday and she still sleeps with me. Especially with dad gone for 5 or 6 months at a time, why not. He has never pressured me to move her out though. Being pregnant again, due in January, I am giving my daughter a "princess room" for her birthday. I agree with the PP...I know I will not sleep at all when I do move her. And I also worry that she will feel "replaced" by the new baby...that she will think "I can't sleep with mommy, but my sister can". ah, a mother's guilt!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• my child is sleeping in her own bed since she was born and i will not start to let her sleep in our bed. if i start it, it could become a habit. and then? well good luck trying to get them out of your bed if you need some "adult"-time. ;-)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• We have never had a family bed, don't believe in it, but if they have a nightmare they know they can come get us and we will snuggle with them for a little bit, unless I end up falling back to sleep I will put them back in their own bed.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I did the family bed thing for awhile with my son and I enjoyed it at first then it got annoying because my son is a bed hog...he stole all my covers and I got tired of sleeping in pajamas so I made him sleep in his room. Now, I can sleep naked.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 11:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Oh yah and I dont have to worry about waking up at night cold because I have no covers. :)
    raybell

• I don't believe that what is good for one family dynamic is necessarily good for another. I moved my first to his own bed at age 2 1/2. Not because I wanted to, but because I am a very light sleeper and he and his daddy are solid wiggly sleepers and I needed to get some more sleep because I was pregnant. We have a confident happy child who doesn't have nightmares and has never needed anything like a wooby or stuffed toy for comfort. But, we have a family dynamic that co-sleeping comes naturally to. It may not come to others that way. Just like food, religion, politics and even family pets. NO ONE can tell you what is right for you and your situation. You have to use your head then go with your heart! And if hubby wants him to move to his own bed, maybe find a compromise. There are lots of ways to keep everyone happy I think.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 1:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2008