how do i get 3 year old to sleep

LALADE76

Asked by LALADE76 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• lay them in bed, lights out, shut the door, every time they get up, pick them up, place them right back into bed, no yelling, no explaining, just calmly tell the its bed time every time you lay them down.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 10:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• do you have a routine? is something off? are they sick? regardless you could try hot(warm)chocolate milk, cuddle time, and their favorite movie. You could try a book, you could try a warm bath and then all of the above. carnation instant breakfasts are actually a good way to get a child full before bed so they dont keep getting up. then put a movie on that just plays over and over turn off the lights turn down the tv and leave the room, check on them again in about half an hour. works sometimes for me. best of luck!
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• yes, i try to guide him back to bed. i should also mention, he share a room with his 7 year old brother. When he is having a fit the seven year old starts having a fit. that is my real problem. between the two of them this is getting very frustrating. thank you for the advice please continue with any other advice
    LALADE76

Comment by LALADE76 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Get a routine. Same thing within the same 15 minutes every night. Have at least a half hour of quiet time. We watch YoGabba Gabba with only a lamp on in the livingroom. Then read my son a few books (he is almost 2 years old) in his bed. Then I or we (if the hubby is home) sing a song while turning a fan on in his room, turning the lights out. Then that is it. He goes to sleep then. However he doesn't sleep all night still. But I would deffinatly try a snack at 3. Like cereal and warm chocolate milk....my nephew calls it special hot chocolate LOL And as queen bee said, every time she gets up put her back. Only tell her the first time it is bedtime, stay in bed. The following times just lay her back down without saying anything. Or you could lock her in her room, lots of people do it with toddlers, for their own safety. We have a gate up (there isn't a door on his room) so he can't get out, of course you can hear him then.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• That sucks they share a room. I would almost be tempted to put the 7 yr old elsewhere till the fits stop. Having my 2 sons in the same room is my biggest fear!!! Good luck!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Routine is very important at this age. So is having a wind down period. Try giving him a bath, brushing his teeth and hair, tucking him in bed, and then reading to him. I have four kids and their rooms are at the end of the hall so I sit in a chair between the two rooms and I read... Usually a chapter or two... And before I know it, they're all out. :) Pick something fun that you can enjoy, too. We just started rereading Harry Potter.

(PS- My kids are 6, 5, 3.5, and 2.)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 10:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Setting a routine is great, for starters. When it comes time to lay them down, give them hugs and kisses tell them goodnight and leave. If they get up, guide them back to bed. Keep guiding them back to bed as many times as it takes for them to get the hint. Don't say anything to them other than, "bed time".
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 2:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Try to get them ready for bed sooner as like an hr. before bed or a half an hour for they know its time to relax and settel down. I know i have a 3y7m old and we always have her settle down before bed like about 1/2 hr. or so and then she watches one of her favorte shows blue clues and then she has her cup with a very little to drink to take with her to bed ( its a sertery thing ) Then we turn her lamp on and the big light off then we read to her 3 books that are 5-6 pages long and she usally gose to sleep if not we put on soft music. I know my daughter like music of her faviorte disney movies she watchs to listen to. I would try to read to him have him settle down a bit before bed telling him it will be bed soon, try a warm bath, sit with the lights off and watch a movie with him to help him relax, turn the lights on low to relax him. put some soft music on, try to feed him a sank before bed maybe a full belly might help.
    artzone

Answer by artzone at 12:34 AM on Aug. 11, 2010