How do you get rid or a skunk?

Seriously. I live in town, not a city, but a town. And we have a major ground hog problem. So much so that we have a trap set to catch them, when my hubby is home (he works away a lot) they are set so he can then take them to the river and release them. The damn things are/were getting in the basement. My landlord had the same problem when he lived here. He apparently hired someone to dig a trench and put up chickenwire to deter this problem. However, that person took him for a ride cause all he did was put chickenwire up around the bottom of the porch, there was no 2 foot trench dug. And apparently a skunk had gotten in the basement before, through the old groundhog tunnel. My hubby is gone for over a week now. The damn skunk is walking around every few nights. I can't set the trap cause I have 2 babies, can't exactly take the trap to the woods with 2 LO. And now I'm afraid that nasty ass skunk is gonna get in the trap....

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 10:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Call the county game warden. Skunks are as at home in town as they are in the woods at this point ~ mostly because there is less and less woods, as well as the town providing a neverending source of easy food.

Unless you startle one or try to corner them, they rarely spray. Make sure your trash is tightly sealed up, and if you have an outside dumpster make noise on the way if you have to take trash out after dark.

If I lived anywhere near you I'd come get it for you ~ but I actually LIKE skunks. I have raised a few orphan litters and never got sprayed. Some states allow you to keep them as pets, but SC is not one of them. They are sort of like extra sleepy cats and if they are descented they actually make good pets.

Wild ones don't belong in the basement or under the porch though ... it's too easy to scare them. Call the warden and see who is available to come trap it for you. They will release it elsewhere.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Call animal control, they should come out and trap it. If they charge a fee, pay it and take it off your next months rent and include a bill.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Once the skunk in in a trap, animal control will come and take it.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• what a frickin mess that would be. What can I do, or just hope he doesn't find his way into the basement. And my landlord, he is at his home in England.....not exactly close to do anything about it. Not even sure if there is anyone to deal with this shit. He is aware in a months time we caught 4 groundhogs too.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• yeah, my landlord is super cool about things. he wouldn't care if it was taken off rent. have to look into that.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Oh man, that stinks! I hope someone can trap it for you.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 10:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010