After lots of dr visits I finally realized my son and I are both allegric to cow's milk. So trying to find substitues as he loves dairy.

He started having the problem about a year ago when he switched to alot of milk and milk products. His main food was cereal & milk (3-4 bowls a day). We told dr the problem seemed to start when he started eating/drinking dairy. HE said no it is not that and to use this pricey medicine and it will fix itself. So 1 week he had no dairy, no meds & still no conspitation at all (sorry if TMI). Next week he was eating cereal and ice cream as normal and the problem came back. Only this time he told me he needs to go to the bathroom but it won't come out.

Anyway he LOVES dairy and I have no idea what he can have now. So far I bought rice milk which he likes and popsicles. Is there icecream I can buy and what brand? I will pay the high cost if it means my little guy can still have ice cream and not be in pain. What about cheese, cream cheese or sour cream?

Do health food stores offer this type of stuff?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Health food stores will have several dairy alternatives. Rice milk and almond milk taste the most like cow's milk to me - sometimes I even mix the two. But be aware that not all dairy alternatives have the same nutritional content. For example, ric emilk has very little fat, protein, etc - it's almost like water, nutritionally speaking, when compared to cow's milk. Soy millk and almond milk are closer, nutritionally.

There are also goat's milk products (yogurt etc) which you and your son may be able to tolerate.

Good luck to you mama!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• regular grocery stores should carry soy cheese, ice cream and milk. almond milk and hemp milk are possibilities too. watch the sugar content in the substitute milks though. we just do dry cereal to snack on here. we don't do milk substitutes, just water. bryers makes a lactose free ice cream, if it is lactose intolerance you could try that and there is the lactose free milk, lactaid. i think there is a soy yogurt too. try to go slow woth the soy. i have read that many kids with dairy allergies also have issues with soy as well. you may want to read up on it as well...maybe just use organic soy products.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• There are lots of yummy cheeses made from goat milk and sheep milk; most of the plant based cheeses are nasty.
    Nutritional yeast is a great alternative to parmesan
    There are lots of milk alternatives; hemp is the most nutritious.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes, health food stores carry lots of dairy alternatives and so do some regular stores. Some work better than others for different things. We liked oat milk for a lot of baking and cooking, hemp and almond milk for drinking, soy milk for sauces, soy creamer for things that needed to be very rich, etc. There are lots of ice creams and other treats too. You can experiment to see what works for you. Dairy products from other animals like goats and sheep work for some people too. (I could never get used to them myself. Goats milk just tastes like a wet goat to me. lol) Raw dairy might also work. My son and I were both dairy free for many years until we discovered that we could have unpasteurized dairy products. Raw milk is only legal in our state if you own the cow, so we buy a cow share so that we can have the milk. From that we make our own butter, ice cream, etc. We've also found sources for cheeses made from raw milk.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• He should be able to tolerate Goat cheese. Just be sure to read the label to make sure there is no cow's milk in it. Rice Dream makes ice cream too. You should avoid soy products. Most all soy is GM soy. Soy acts like estrogen in the body.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Is it the lactose (milk sugar) or casein (milk protein) that you're allergic/sensitive to? Either way, do avoid soy products since soy is an endocrine disruptor.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• There are lactose and dairy free ice creams, cheeses, etc. Is he allergic to milk or does he have a lactose intolerance? You need to find that out for sure.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Try goat milk products.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• almond milk is really good my lil boy loves it
    deshea207

Answer by deshea207 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Almond or soy milk
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:38 AM on Sep. 17, 2010