constipation help

My little girl is 3 month old and wehvae bad constipation problems. ive tried karo in water and in milk and prune juice doesnt work...just gave her 3oz of watered down prune juice she was still screaming had to give her a suppository and after she got that out still screaming bc it was only like 2 hard pebbles. well im giving her 1 oz of straight prue...idk what to dobrought her to the dr countless time they just keep telling me to do karo or prune...help i cant take my little girl screaming in pain

christina10140

Asked by christina10140 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Straight baby apple juice. When my daughter was little I discovered apple juice worked just as well as prune juice and she liked it more.
    lad-tink

Answer by lad-tink at 10:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I used miralax and its a non stimulant and very effective. be careful at this age to use too many stimulants like juice and suppositories. My son had constipation issues since birth also so I DO understand what you are going through. Miralax is the safer choice right now.. it may take a day but it will help a ton!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• agree with the apple juice..also we had issues with my oldest and when the suppositories didnt work the doc told us to get a syringe and inject a tiny bit of warm water kinda like an enema.. it seemed to work a bit better.. but wouldnt recommend doing it a lot..but you need to see a doc to find out why she is constipated, it may be the milk shes drinking or a more underlying problem.. good luck..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• if you ff you may have to switch formula or you can relactate (breastmilk has a built in laxative affect).

if you are already bfing try cutting dairy out of your diet. Be very careful with artificial stimulation and juices. try holding her in a supported squat to help gravity.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I had to use petroleum jelly and a rectal thermometer on my son. You need to be careful and massage it with the tip of the thermometer. This worked for him and gave him relief. He eventually out grew this problem when he was around 6 months old. Good Luck.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I wanted to add that you need to find out what is causing it. constipation is a symptom, you have to treat the cause.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• They have baby enema's... its safe and natural.. I feel for your baby, constipation is so painful... Also relaxing warm bathes to loosen up the stomach muscles, massaging babies back and stomach softly.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I had a horrible time with constipation in my son and I tried everything, but the thing that worked amazingly well and still does is pear juice, Gerber sells the little bottles of pear juice and I would have never guessed because I was going for all the traditional juices, but it worked, it worked fast, and after the initial poop from it I put a little in his morning bottle everyday and then later when he got to eat baby food I gave him some pear baby food everyday, worked like a charm for me and I was at the end of the rope with options till I found it
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010