Fleas on the kitty

There was a cat that was always running around my house and trying to get it. I would never let him in because he was a stray and I already have a house cat. Well one day he sneaked in while i was walking out to the car and of course I was gone all day. When I got home I discovered him and put him outside but now my indoor kitty has fleas..i've tried bathing him 4 times already and the gel stuff on his neck and a flea collar (all at once) and I still can't get rid of them because h is long haired. I don't want to take him to the vet and spend a bunch of money I don't have so does anyone have an ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pets

• You need to go to the vet and get some advantage a topical flea killer than works. lol. The over the counter stuff is dangerous for kittys and very ineffective. You will need to treat kitty for at least 6 months with the good topical to catch any hatch out you might have form your carpet in a few months. Y Our vet may have some other good options for eliminating fleas from your home. The clinic I work at sells Flea Busters a carpet powder for floors to use along with treating the pets for a quicker whole house control. SOund like this is no biggie so you could just treat he cat.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Call around to a few vets to see if they offer Frontline Flea Treatment. I just bought it for my cats. It was $10.00. They give you a syringe full of the liquid flea treatment and you just go pick it up and apply it to the back of your cats neck. It kills the adult fleas and the eggs and lasts for a month. You can renew every month if you need to.
    Hope this helps.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would take the cat to the vet and see what he/she recommends. The flea's can get bad on them quick and kill the cat. Do something before it gets too bad. My cat had fleas and I took her to the vet and she was given a pill that kills all fleas within 24 hours and it lasts 30 days and then you have to get another little pill. It works wonders. It is only $12 for a pill. I tried Frontline and all of that on my cat and nothing worked. You will need to get rid of the fleas in the carpet, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• The fleas breed in your vaccume bag. Treat the cat with the fle/tick liquid you put on their back . But the cheap ones at the grocery store. About 11-15 bucks for 3 treatments. and buy a fle powder for the carpet. After you vaccume it take the bag out and dispose of it
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My mom used to give our cats brewers yeast tablets from a health food store to keep fleas away.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Do not use anything available over the counter as a PP mentioned. These can be very dangerous and possibly deadly to cats. Flea collars are typically a waste of money. Bathing typically will not do much more than kill adult fleas - and then, only if you use a flea product. Bathing frequently can dry out your cats skin and leave you with many injuries!

Use a product available from a vet. Products like Advantage and Frontline are safe, effective, and last up to a month and not only kill what gets on your cat, but they also over time will help control problems in the house. This is your best bet for your current situation. If you have limited means, many vets will sell single doses of these products which will cost you around $15. If you really want to get your money's worth, get your cat Revolution. For the same price, you can protect your cat from fleas and heartworms, but it requires a prescription.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 12:43 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• ou need to take him to the vet and get him a flea dip and then ask your vet how to keep him from getting them again
    madwoman41731

Answer by madwoman41731 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2010