Why does my son keep getting pimples on his upper arms and legs?

My son is 20 months old and he has always had sensitive skin. He had impetigo two times already and he seems to always getting a red rash around his mouth. I noticed he has been getting these big red pimples on his upper legs and his upper arms, there would be 1-3 pimples on ethier arm or leg. I also noticed he has small bumps on his arms which resemble eszema to me. I tried so many lotions but it seems like none of them made a good improvement. I used the triple paste cream, aveeno lotion, aquaphor, even impetigo cream, any recommedations for what I can do to treat it and if I should worry?

GuardianAngel27

Asked by GuardianAngel27 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could be anything from mosquito bites to a staph infection. You probably should run it by the Dr. just to rule out staph.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• the red rash you are talking about (that looks like eczema) is a form of eczema. I have had it since I was born and my 4 year old has also had it since he was born. It is on my upper arm and thighs..same with my son. It is nothing to worry about. Lotion and medications will not make it go away. My doc and his told me it will be there for life.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 10:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My son used to get what looked like pimples too, but they were actually part of his eczema which was brought on by food sensitivities. For my son, removing all pasteurized dairy products from his diet made it go away, but eczema can be a symptom of SO many things. Since your son also gets a rash around his mouth, my first guess would be that it is food related. I would suggest trying an elimination diet to see if it gets better when certain foods are removed. Start with the most common allergens and work from there. Since he is so young, I would also pay attention to see if there is anything he puts in his mouth regularly (a favorite blanket or toy, clothing, etc.). Detergents, fabric softeners, etc. can cause rashes and eczema, as can things that toys are made of like plastic, rubber, vinyl, etc. Pay very close attention to what he is eating, drinking, wearing, and putting in his mouth to see if you can figure it out. GL!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i would consider a food diary.
    my dd has bad skin too. she has a coconut issue...and coconut and coconut byproducts are in allmost all soaps, most lotions, and even in a lot of toothpaste!
    dairy is the top culprit.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• adding fish oil and probiotics to your diet is a good idea too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• if he has eczema the doctor can prescribe an ointment that helps. Give him a bath with Aveeno body wash, lotion with Aveeno, and put cortozone cream on his spots.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• All these anwsers are extremely helpful to me, I apperciate it very much. It makes me feel revealed that most people thought it was ezcesma like I did, but I had no idea it could come from simply stuff like blankets. He has his favorite blanket he always puts in his mouth and the farbic softner may be irriating his skin. He eats a lot of yogurt and diary so I may give him some bland food for a few days just to see if diary is causing any rash. I also have ezcesma, especially on my upper arms. I just brought this new aveeno therapy for ezscema and I hope it works. I have been putting cortizone on his mouth rash. I plan to see his doctor tommorow if I don't see an improvement in his skin. Thank you for all the comments, they've all been very informtative and helpful to me.
    GuardianAngel27

Comment by GuardianAngel27 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2010