Best containers for freezing?

So I really want to start making my own chicken and beef broths and soups. I've got some good instructions and recipes, but I'm not sure what containers I should use. I want to freeze it, not can it. Canning scares me! So what are the best containers to use for freezing?

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Ziploc

mamadee1971

Answer by mamadee1971 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I used to make my own broths all the time when the children were home. I saved cottage cheese containers and washed them in hot soapy water. They made perfect freezer containers for my broth.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I actually freeze mine in ziploc freezer BAGS. As long as you leave some space at the top, it freezes great. They lay flat and stack nicely. I freeze them in gallon bags for soup. For cooking with, I freeze them in 1/2 c and 1 c ziploc containers. Once they are frozen solid, I pop them out and put them in a gallon bag. This way you can just grab the amount you need to cook with.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I like to use freezer bags. Make sure to freeze them on a flat cookie sheet and then they will all stack nicely.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Oh, I hadn't even thought about bags! That's a great idea! So for the extra space, do I just leave the air in? Just kind of leave it puffed up? I hope that made sense! And how long can you store it that way?
    Megs5384

Comment by Megs5384 (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Tupperware. Nothing ever gets freezer burns and lasts up to a year. We make a lot of soups and sauces, freeze in tupperware, stacks well in freezer so get on space too.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I use ziploc bags!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Ziploc FREEZER bags, hands down. Do NOT leave any air in the bag! Don't fill it plumb full either - it will have plenty of room to expand, you don't need "head space" in a bag. And like Nanny, I also reuse containers from tub margarine, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc - about half an inch of head space is good. One other option, that I use for my homemade jams - in the canning aisle at Wal-Mart, I found plastic "jars" - those are the best but don't come in really big sizes - if they made them in bigger sizes (the ones I have are 1cup, 4cup, and I'm not sure what the 3rd option was...somewhere between I'd guess, they were out of them) they're all I'd use!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I use glassloc containers in big zipper bags

Answer by rkoloms at 10:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010