Dealing with my two year olds anger/attitude

I am a SAHM and i am with my children 24/7, my question is my oldest DD who will be two next month has started having major anger and attitude issues... i try and calm her down and either sit her in time out or spank her, and to me it seems to be doing nothing but adding to the problem... i am at a loss, can anyone help me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 2 almost 3 year old DD as well and I think it's just the start of the terrible twos and I still don't know how to calm mine down so I'll bump ya. I hope you get your answer!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Be firm and tell her she needs to behave. Don't get upset cause that only makes it worse kids pick up on it and go off your behavior.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I use distraction sometimes. When my son starts getting really upset, I ask him where his snails are. He has three plush snails that he loves. Usually he goes "Oh!" in the middle of crying or yelling and goes off to find them. If that doesn't work I tell him he needs to calm down and use his signs or words to tell me what he wants. After a few times he usually calms down so I can find out what is up.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 10:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• keep constant on whatever discipline you decide to do for each act. if your dd gets mad about something, like she's not allowed to watch tv at a certain time, get down to her level and explain to her, like " (name) mommy knows you're mad because you're not allowed to watch tv" then explain to her why, and try to get her interested in something else. if she is screaming so much/loud that you can't talk to her, have her sit in time out until she does calm down. then talk to her. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• The only thing I can suggest is being consistant once you find the method that works for you. I wish I could be more help, good luck.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I agree that at this age, distraction is the best technique. Punishments for bad behavior doesn't always help and sometimes does just make the situation worse. Plus, it stresses me out! But when they're this young they can easily be distracted to do something else, which can help them (and you) get through a difficult phase. This also teaches them a valuable lesson in one method for controlling their own feelings, that will be useful in the future.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 10:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• bump
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 10, 2010