How long did it take for your swaddled baby to learn to sleep unswaddled?

rileymommy

Asked by rileymommy at 10:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't have that problem. My son hated it from the get-go. He is nearly 6 yrs old and still hates being covered with blankets or bundled up in winter.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• both my kids hated being swaddled. they needed their space, and still do.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My DD was swaddled for probably 2 or 3 months and then she started trying to roll so I felt uncomfortable letting her be swaddled. However, she has always wanted to be cuddled while sleeping and still has issues sleeping through the night. It took her about 3 or 4 months after I stopped swaddling her to sleep longer then 4 hours at a time. I hope you have better luck ... my DD is now 14 months and still wakes a couple times a night!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• my daughter was swaddled until she was about 6 months. she absolutely loved the swaddle so I didnt feel a need to not swaddle her until then. I did start loosening it more and more starting at about 3 months. by the time she was six months it was so loose it was basically just there as a comfort thing. loosening it definitely helped to get her out of it, and it also made me feel safe because I knew she could move her arms and get out if she wanted to, so I knew she was safe.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My daughter slept swaddled until about 2 months when she started kicking and ALWAYs kicked her way out of it but I have had a lot of success with the sleepers that are closed at the bottom and zip up...Lexi loves these and she sleeps about 9-12 hours a night!!!! They can't kick out of these and are always warm so it doesn't disturb their sleep!
    melissaaytes

Answer by melissaaytes at 12:37 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My kids always liked being swaddled at night until they could roll over. Once they could roll over, they liked sleeping on their tummies (and would roll over that way even though I laid them down on their backs) and for some reason, that lessened the need for them to swaddled.

Answer by missanc at 8:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I actually broke dd of being swaddled in about three nights... she was 4 months old then, she's almost 8 now. I still have the problem of her wiggling around alot while trying to go to sleep.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• He adjusted pretty quickly, and now sleeps just as well as he did when he was swaddled. He sleeps in a Halo sleepsack and I think that helped a lot with the transition.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 12:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010