Has does the distraction method work?

Everyone talks about how they use it. Doesn't it confuse your children? When my children are doing something wrong I tell them can't do that or behave that way. and if they continue then they get a spank. My kids don't misbehave often but when they do it's a firm NO and if it continues its a spank ( on the bottom with my hand ). But I wonder about the method and think that it would just confuse them but distracting them? Yes they go away from the problem but how long does it take for them to go back?

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 10:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• usually i do the distraction thing for when they're very small (under 1yo). example. she found my cell phone and is trying to eat it. i say no, that's mommy's phone. no touching. and then i take it away and give her one of her toys. i put the phone where she can't see or reach it. if it's something i can't move, usually distraction still works, but you do have to tell them to stop messing with whatever before you give them something new. once they're 1yo i do time out and that works well too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I use the distraction thing more like a offensive game plan when I have the feeling my son is going to get a bit out of control... I'll change the subject or talk to him about other things or get out something different...squirrel...for him to do. I usually do this if he wants something at the store and I have said no, or his dad is going somewhere without him or he want cheeze its for breakfast...squirrel...it keeps him calm.

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• bump
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I had to bump this one good question
    MsPhyllis1985

Answer by MsPhyllis1985 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Kids are smarter than you think! It's the main method I use with my 12 month old. When he's touching something he shouldn't (like our shoes) I quickly say "You don't touch shoes", I take it away from him and give him something else to play with. My face and tone is serious and firm, but not angry (I understand he's just a baby). After a few times of doing this AS SOON AS he goes for the shoes, he has learned that they are off limits. Of course sometimes he forgets, but by now he knows that tone and sentence - I just have to say "No Seb, you don't touch shoes", and he usually backs off.

What's really funny is that he's just starting trying to test me to see if it's ever okay. He'll crawl slowly towards the shoes while looking at me, pause, smile, reach out a little more, pause. When I say no and pull him away to something else, he complains and heads back. I'll use a more firm tone, and do it again. He'll whine, but he stops.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2010