Heard of the book "To train up a child" by Michael and Debbie Pearl?

What are your thoughts? Correct or incorrect way to raise happy, healthy, functioning human beings?

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 11:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Never heard of it.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Absolutely incorrect and very dangerous.
    nightshade3_99

Answer by nightshade3_99 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Waaaaay to extreme...that's all I have to say about it, lest I offend moms who follow the Pearls...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• too*
    Fallaya

• OMG!! I just looked them up.. read some quotes from the book... I don't care if I offend anyone.. that is abuse and downright sickening!
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I read "Created to be his help meet" bt debi and holy sex by michael.
    i wont pick up this book. they are NUTS! anyone else read those books?SICKENING.
    I attend a *non-traditional* pentecostal church, and I am all for being a "submissive" wife...but Omg!
    There is a story in that book about a girl whose husband was having an emotional affair, and debbie blamed her and told her not to leave. Read an excerpt below-
    "
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• "When youhave lost your husband and you are alone, and the children are at daycare or public school, and you are trying to pay rent on the dumpy duplex and keep food on the table, you can always know you stood on principle, you called him to repentance, and you didnt allow him to humiliate you and play the hypocrite. You called his hand. There he will be, living in sin with that other woman,and you, the righteous one, will still be standing for your rights, but sleeping alone."
    Oh, and my FAV part was about what to do if your husband RAPES your children: She says to call the law, testify against him in court, then proceed to visit him in jail- and bring the kids! And when he gets out, take him back like nothing happened! WTH? Something is wrong with these people. He had a gun to her head when she wrote this book. And Im pretty sure God isnt gonna like Michaels little sex book.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I have all the Pearl's books. They have great child training material. Yes, they would be very extreme as far a society's way of raising children today. But society's idea of child rearing is NOT the same as God's. Everything the Pearl's say in their books are backed up by Scripture. I wouldn't recommend reading quotes on websites from the books. We know they can be distorted. I would recommend getting the book and reading it for yourself, and have your Bible handy to see what God says.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 10:38 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I have never read the book myself but I have heard very very bad things about it. Things that can easily make it seem as if the author is trying to justify abuse, neglect, etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Interesting...in the circle of religious folks about here, I am perceived as in "Rebellion to God" for not agreeing with these books and their extreme ism. My first born was raised according to the book and I was also instructed to read "created to be his help meet"...... The idea is to "break their will" with the kids. But we found that yes he was a VERY well behaved obedient boy, but what is dangerous now.... He's obedient to EVERYONE. HIGHLY dangerous and I shouldn't have to explain why. For example, I have put him in wresting before. While the kids has his head pinned to the ground, most boys (let alone all people) would get frustrated right? Not my boy, he doesn't have that fighting instinct left. That really ticked me off!!! and that was years after we stopped training like that book. Since then we spend every opportunity to boost his self respect. I can't believe we listened to "Well it's not always easy
    thelowlander

Comment by thelowlander (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2010