Have you ever grilled a pizza and if so . . .

What type of crust or dough do you use? We have thrown a frozen pizza on the grill when everything was defrosting after hurricane Ike came through a couple of years ago, but since I have clicked through the food channel to see someone grilling a pizza. I hadn't watched up to that point, so I don't know how common this is. So, have you tried it and if so, what crust do you suggest? Any special toppings that seem better from the grill?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 11:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I buy fresh pizza dough from trader Joes , or you can make one from scratch. My favorite grilled pizza is sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, feta cheese.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/grilling-pizza/Detail.aspx
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 11:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Grilled pizza....... I'll have to try it!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My dad used to grill pizza all the time. I'm not sure how he did it though.
    jat08167

Answer by jat08167 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• We tried once but our grill runs too hot even on the coolest setting (and DH just does not get indirect grilling!). If you check out 5dollardinners.com , she has some recipes, ideas, etc, for grilling pizza - I know I've seen at least a couple of posts about it.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• We use Boboli Pizza dough and heavy duty aluminum foil. I've tried it with fresh dough and it usually ends up charred or under cooked by the time the cheese melts. It was hard to get it perfect. Using the already cooked dough and covering with foil helps for the heat to melt the cheese on top.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I make my own, whole wheat crust

Answer by rkoloms at 10:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I want to try it!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• LOL, the one we cooked on the grill was a cheap one that the kids will eat, but we wouldn't normally touch (too cardboard tasting), but I have to say, I had a bite and it was the best cheap pizza I have tasted. I think the grill worked the magic. I want to try something new but don't want to use a pre-made pizza. The feta idea is great. I figured we could experiment using Boboli crust, but I might have to find something thinner. I am not fond of thicker crusts.  Thanks for the great idea!

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010