Help me to like exercise!

Ok...so on my quest to be a better person physically...I have started eating better and that is going great!! The exercise, well, not so much. I can't afford a gym, it's too hot to walk and I can barely walk 3 minutes on my eliptical w/o my legs hurting really bad. I really want to enjoy it, but HOW?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• UGH. I have been jogging on my treadmill and I hate it. I don't think I will ever like it and maybe you won't either. But I just keep reminding myself why I am doing it and knowing that I have to do it. I always wear my ipod and listen to music I like so that makes it better. Don't worry, keep doing the elliptical and it WILL get easier.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 11:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Dance. I wait until hubby is at work and Kyra at school. Change clothes, grab 2 cans of veggies to work the arms and switch the tv to CMT and dance. It's different and fun.
    Plus exercising helps cramps and headaches. The dancing takes mine clear away and I get both bad!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Variety and patience. Try varying your workouts between the elliptical, dance, calisthenics, yoga, stretching, you name it. You'll find something you really like. Plus, soon enough your body will adjust and the "liking" will become an actual 'need' and your body will push you to exercise.

sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 9:53 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Find a workout buddy and find something you enjoy. You can rent workout dvds from the library or borrow them from a friend. I really enjoy tae bo and I also put music on while I exercise! Dancing is another good one, swimming, pilates, playing soccer with your child, ect.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• ZUMBA!
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• You have to find something that you think is fun! I refuse to do things that I do not enjoy because then exercise turns from something I do everyday to keep my body healthy into a chore. So I hate to run on a treadmil or use any other cardio gym equipment for that matter- so I RARELY do. Only when I am desperate- like bad weather. I enjoy running outdoors, riding my bike, and yoga. These are my core fun fitness things.

My advice to you is experiement with different fitness activites. Don't get stuck in a rut of same ole same ole treadmil, elliptical- BLAH. Look into community centers- they usually offer very cheap or free group fitness classes. Find a large church and see if they offer fitness- my chuch has yoga and pilates for $5 per class. Find a pretty park with a walking trail. You have to think outside of the box. Do a web search of the parks and recreation in your area and see what they offer- you may be surprised!
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 7:40 AM on Aug. 11, 2010