If you have moved your children in the middle of the school year . . .

How long did it take for them to adjust to their new surroundings? Mine are 5 and 7 and if things work out the way I think they will, we will be moving them in the middle of the first quarter of school. Not the best time to switch schools, but you work with what you have. I know that all kids are going to handle thing differently, I am just looking for other people's experiences. My kids tend to make friends pretty easily.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 11:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I moved constantly while I was growing up and my kids have switched schools a few times but not as much as I have.
    I found the earlier that it is done the easier it is..younger kids LOVE getting new kids at their school...where in JR.Hh. and high school the clicks have formed and you become an outcast basically.
    Your kids will do fine especially since they will have eachother at the end of the day
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I haven't moved my own children, but I was a child that got moved around a lot...every two years and usually in the middle of the school year. Kids are pretty resilient, especially at that age. They'll make friends really fast. I was usually pretty well adjusted by a couple of months after moving, and I was considered a shy child. It will be hard in the beginning, but just be supportive and they will be fine.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 11:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Because of a divorce, I had to move my kids in the middle of the year. Not only did we loose our school, we lost our house too. It was hard making the transition, but the kids did great! We have been in this same district for 7 yrs and my kids have had the same friends all the way from elementary school. My dd is a senior this year! Her best friends she has known since 5 th grade. Kids are soo resilant, they can get through almost anything as long as you are there behind them being their cheerleader! Good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I have moved mine during the school year, 3 times, they always ajusted well and they have maintained their grades. It's when they get older that is harder for them to adjust IMO. I want to move now but my daughter is going into her senior year so I have to stay put for now.
    MrsAJLaw

Answer by MrsAJLaw at 11:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We've switched the kids several times. My youngest is a social butterfly and always did great, my oldest is much more quiet and had a harder time with moving.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I changed schools every year sometimes more than once. Kids are kids they will make friends and move on.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2010