Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

im babysitting a neibors son who keeps hitting my kids....

im babysitting 4 days this week and 4 days next week. his dad has already paid me. but he has hit my 14 month old twice and elbowed her once and picked up my daughters scooter and hit my 8 year old with it! i just made him go to bed for the scooter issue but what should i do to get him under control while he is at my house? his dad wont be off work till 1am so he wont get him till the morning and im doing this again tomorrow. i juat dont know how to deal with a child who uses violence. my kids are not this way.


Asked by cassie_m at 11:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 20 (8,331 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Definitely don't leave him alone, put him in time out for things he does (a minute per year of his age) and just keep up with it. Make him go to bed early(before 9) no matter what. You have to keep your sanity to babysit him for several days. His being in time out is also your time to cool off so you don't go nuts.
    I babysat for 3yrs at my house and the kids I got just hit alot too! One bit! It was hard on us all. Do things like time out, take away outside playtime and make him sit and draw just to keep your sanity, keeping him by your side since you probably can't trust him to sit on the couch if you are outside. Also just keep him on a schedule, even if your kids can play outside, it's his time to sit and have a snack and watch a show. That way you separate your kids from him so they can play if he is being squirrely.
    Good luck.

    Answer by Momchipomkids at 11:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

  • Honestly...and this is just what I would do but...I'd give the dad his money back and apologize. I'd tell him that while you'd love to help him out, you can't have anyone in your house, child or not, who will harm your children.

    Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

  • Time out

    Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

  • i would take the father aside explain that you would like to help him but you cannot have the violence in your house. let him decide if he wants to work with you on correcting the issue or if he wants to go somewhere else.

    Answer by MoMoFu at 11:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

  • Don't watch him if it causes you too much stress. Or if you need the money or don't want to offend or renig on the deal, ask the Dad how he can suggest YOU can handle the punishment he needs for the actions? I wouldn't want him ard my kids too much, might rub off on them though.

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 10, 2010