anyone against the dentist?

i am

because all my detental history i was called a liar because i have abnormal gag reflex and its worse when i get nervous. it was hard to brush my teeth properly and of course no one cares.. it all seemed really weird. when i got braces it was bad because i would eat something normal break a bracket go in and be so nervous. i was told to pant like a puppy and grow up if i was scared.. i was still young and phobic about my mouth. now i can brush my teeth and i do what i can to keep them safe.

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 11:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Health

• last time i went there the women shook her head at me and told me how terrible my teeth were and how bad i was for letting them look that way.
    "

Wow, they deserve the Worst Dentist's Office of the Year" award. That is not the norm!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I spent years terrified of them and got tired of them giving me a hard time. I have to be premedicated and can't swallow a pill. They gave me a hard time about that and my sensitive gag reflex. I finally found a great dentist and won't go anywhere else.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My childhood dentist did un needed work to bill the insurance companies. My mouth is an example of that. She has lost her license because of that. I have a huge phobia of dentist because of all the un-needed work I had done. I like my place I go to now and they are so patient with me and do not mind that I cry during regular checkups. They even give me gas to calm my nerves during cleanings.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'm scared to death, just don't like them either! Hell, I need the laughing gas for a simple feeding. Anything else and I need to be knocked out!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'm not necessarily against the dentist, but I'm not happy about it. I had a really bad addiction to soda as an early teenager, and I had a bad habit of swishing every swallow of it in my mouth; needless to say my molars are jacked up because of it. 4 teeth that or so damaged that I'm scared to see what a dentist will say, and even having decent dentla ins, I'm terrified of the cost. I haven't been to the dentist in 7 years...that's embarassing to say!
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 12:34 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I have had some dentists I didn't care for. Went today actually for a filling (had to replace an old filling) and my dentist I have now is great. I took an anti-anxiety med though before and brought my ipod to listen to U2, which helped a looottt.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I hate going to the dentist, but not for reasons like that. You just have to find a good dentist, there are good ones out there. I recommend looking into sedation dentistry. Have you ever had nitrous oxide? Last time I went, I had to get two feelings and paid the extra $60 to get the laughing gas (nitrous). It was amazing, lol. Nothing could have bothered me and I couldn't have been more relaxed. I think it would really help you and there are dentists who cater to those with fears. It's a really common fear, so don't be embarrassed. My dentist told me that he's had patients that they couldn't even get out of the chair in the waiting room bc they were so scared at first!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• good for you! we have one where i live who promotes putting the person under and i like that idea... however that is where i went as a child and my mother who remembers it more advised me not to go there because they lie and do unnecessary dental work. i remember that particular dentist "fixed" my chipped tooth SEVERAL times ... i still do not eat corn on the cob or apples cuz i do not ever want to deal with it again.. i got it fixed at the last dentist i went to but i am afraid to go back because i let myself go... last time i went there the women shook her head at me and told me how terrible my teeth were and how bad i was for letting them look that way.
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'm scared to death, just don't like them either! Hell, I need the laughing gas for a simple feeding. Anything else and I need to be knocked out!"

Dang, your dentist feeds you? LOL! I know what you meant. :) Cleaning, lol?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• fillings*
    LovingSAHMommy