What sports do your children play? Do you feel they are too competitive?

My 9 year old son plays baseball, basketball and football. This will be his first year in football. They will be practicing 3x a week for 2 hours each day. If they are late for practice they will be unable to play in the Saturday games.
He just finished baseball and they never rotated postions, whoever was best on first base played it all season and so on...I feel like it's really competitive for a 9 year old. Is it like this everywhere?

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 11:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The competition to be better makes them better, and they pick the best based off of who is already talented in the area of training. IE: if you're a fast runner, if you can throw the furthest, if you don't want too many breaks and you just keep going.

Some may drop but it might make some strive to be better. Trust me, if they are competitive being picked last will only make them want to be better. If they quit they never should have been on the team. Think of it as winning and losing.
    If you lose you don't quit, you work harder to be better next time.

and trust me when I say this, if some kids learn better skills than the starting people then they will be swapped out, easily. Then the kid who gets swapped down will be upset and try to get his position back. Thus making everyone better and better and better.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My 15 year old son love and play basketball very well. My two nieces, ages 4 and 7, are very girl y. They paint their nails, play dress up, and pamper themselves all day.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My kids have both tried & loved soccer. My son was in UPWARD.org basketball last year, and we are not competetive at all- it's mostly about the fun & exercise.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• my sis, I know not my kids but, my sis is on a traveling soccer team, best at a position gets captain, best ppl get to start and they have to travel for any where from 15miin to 5 hours to games, stay in hotels, the works.

If they think someone was wrongfully captain they have to one on one play them to see who's actually better, which is humbling for some, and all around the games are brutal, competitive, physical but that's what they signed up for, and they are talented and committed.

If the child loves his/her sports I would hope they would be competitive because thats the nature of the beast. Imagine if they take all of this competitiveness to school and just do great in class, or to the real world for a job. I know the girls on my sisters team are mostly all honor roll students and are competitive with most things, I like to call it DRIVE and PASSION. A great trait to have.

DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:03 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My oldest son is boxing and training to fight MMA, and my 13 yr old just started playing football.
    MrsAJLaw

Answer by MrsAJLaw at 1:04 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• That's a good point Domonique, but this is their first year. How do they know who is best, just yet. I just thought for a few years it would be more focused on training and fun vs. competive games and no fun. It doesn't really matter to me because there are a lot of politics involved too and we know the coaches so our kid gets the good postions, but I really don't think it's fair to a lot of the kids and I wonder how many will drop out before they ever really knew what they could've done, you know.
    theutilitarian

Comment by theutilitarian (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Sports are competitive, plain and simple. There are lessons to be learned from winning and losing and working hard at something ... it's the perfect metaphor for life.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:52 AM on Aug. 10, 2010