so i'm almost 9 months pregnant and my 4 yr old knows he's gonna be a brother soon, he's been asking me everyday how his brothers gonna get out of my belly....any suggestions?

Asked by haileyann0613 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• When my daughter was born my son had just turned 4. While I was pregnant I would show him books with pictures of what the baby looks like inside their mother's womb. We got the books out of the children's section of the library.

I explained to him that women have a special opening between their legs that is where the baby comes out of. I answered his questions honestly but in an age appropriate way ofcourse. The plan had been for him to be there at the birth (had a home birth). But he had become anxious because I was in labor for two days and it was hard on him. So he stayed at a friend's house overnight until the morning after the baby was born.

Just be honest. My son wasn't confused about the baby at all. He understood a little about birth, enough that it didn't scare him or confuse him. I think it was better that way. Kids have the capability of understanding more than we give them credit for.

Answer by amethystrse at 8:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I have told my little guy that God planted the seed in my belly and a special doctor will open it up and take the little munckin out. Most kids don't need all of the information especially at this age. Just answer what they ask...there will be more questions in the future me. Then you can have the "real" talk. good luck

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• How To Tell a Toddler About a New Baby |
    Let her know that soon a new baby will come to live in her house. ... Tell the toddler that inside her mommy's round belly is a new baby brother or sister ... - 59k

Answer by vbruno at 8:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I'd keep it simple but true.
    Mommy's have a special opening. When it's time for the baby to come out, yhat opening opens up and mommy's tummy muscles push the baby out. Then the opening closes back up.

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• i just told my little girl "daddys boy parts put him in. mommys girl parts helped him grow and will get him out." she understood that fine...

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Tell him the truth, use medical terms. Better you tell him than someone in school and he finds out you weren't honest with him.

Answer by sondrajoy at 1:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2008