What age should a child be when breast feeding should stop? And what is the oldest you would let your child be when you would stop?

I have a friend that has a daughter turning three and she still breast feeds. What is your opinion? I am just curious.

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• How long somebody else's child breastfeeds is none of my business. I personally would not nurse much past age two.

That being said...when your child goes to school, then that is too old.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• for me? 2
    But i do know ppl who have gone to 3 but they only BF at home and it doesn't bother me, just makes me think the baby needs more comfort
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• The longer they nurse the smarter the kid can turn out to be, it's been proven. I nursed my kids both around 1 year.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• plenty of smart children that weren't breastfed as well, but i personally think 3 is a bit to old but that is just my opinion, id say 18-24 months is the cut off time but each their own
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 12:04 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• einstein nursed until he was 3. so did michael jordon. whats the problem? the max nursing time recommended by professionals is "as long as the mother and child desire" so breast feeding should stop when one of the two does not want to do it anymore.

her boobs, her baby, her business.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:12 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I personally do not care what the mother chooses to do, like I said I am just curious. BUT...what about the cases when the child is weening themselves and the mother continues anyway? Is there a line? Or is it the mother's right to encourage the closeness even though the child is no longer needing it?
    AmyLynn5398

Comment by AmyLynn5398 (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I nursed my son until he was almost three. I will nurse this baby until it self weans as well. There is nothing wrong with Breastfeeding. It is a very natural thing.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• THE AGE OF 1 NO CHILD SHOULD BE SUCKING ANYTHING PASS THE AGE OF 1
    evette311

Answer by evette311 at 1:58 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Babies get the maximum benefit from breast feeding by age 1. Breast feeding past age 1 is mainly to make the Mommy happy and reward herself for being such a super Mommy By age 3, it looks very strange. She is keeping her daughter attached and preventing her from being a separate human being....not healthy emotionally. And don't tell me about other societies who breast feed older children...they do it because there is no other choice. It has nothing to do with their knowledge , nutritional education,or sense of being a super Mommy.It is because they live in primitive,unsanitary conditions,etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't breast feed a 3 year old to be honest by my kids 1st birthday they already had a sippy cup
    MsPhyllis1985

Answer by MsPhyllis1985 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2010