I am breastfeeding my 3 month old son. The last few days he has stopped wanting to nurse when he wakes up(6:15). I am feeding him on 3 hour schedule. DUring the day it is usually 6,9,12,3,6. After his 6pm feeding he goes down for the night. I wake him at 10pm to feed and then he wakes up to feed around 2 am!! Any advice on how I can get him to give up 2am feeding and not 6 am?????

SuzannaJ

Asked by SuzannaJ at 8:20 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow a schedule!! haha My LO nursed on demand. I did not have him on a schedule that early. I also did not wake him in the middle of the night if he was sleeping well. All of a sudden he just started sleeping 8-7pm. THEN he got his 1st tooth and now we are back to feeding in the middle of the night. Not sure why but I still nurse him on demand. I guess I do not have any good advice...hope someone can help.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Try not waking him at 10pm. If he's sleeping, as long as he's gaining weight like he should, there's no reason to wake him. If you don't wake him, you may start getting him into a schedule of sleeping through the night. He might be doing the every four hours through the night because that's what you've made him do so far, so that's what he's used to. Schedules are great, but they have to be a little flexible, and able to grow and adapt as he gets older. Try just letting him sleep, he may surprise you and not wake up at 2 am and not get up until 6 am, and then be ready and raring to go for breakfast!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I've heard so many times that schedules make babies learn to ignore their natural hunger instinct. And that schedules are a cruel thing to do to a baby. And not to look at the clock, watch your baby's cues. I don't know. Scheduling feedings seems great, but I don't think they work at all. If a baby is hungry, a baby should be fed. My son is 3 months old and still breastfeeds every 2-3 hours day AND night. Good luck with scheduling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Babywise????
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• He is only 3mo, he might still be hungry. Just keep feeding him at 2am. He won't eat that way forever. It is a price we pay to give our little ones the best!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Great job breastfeeding! I nurse my son on demand every 1 1/2 to 4 hours. He's 4 months old. I know a schedule would never work for him. Maybe just try for a day letting the baby set his own schedule and see what he does. Then follow more of his natural feeding times.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• dont wake him up at 10, let him sleep.. babies that have regained their birthweight can be left alone to sleep. I mean if he has a medical reason that is different but my son's last nursing session is usually around 7pm, or 8pm and then he sleeps about 12 hours long and then wakes up and doesnt want to eat right away, but within a half hour he does.. good luck, but i would wake him up to eat, i have abook called baby 411, and it also says not to wake them if they have regained their birthweight unless directed by a doctor.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I feed my baby every three hours also, but the schedule starts every morning when he wakes up! Until two months he'd wake me up to feed at night and it went from 3 hours, to 4 hours, to 5 hours! By the time he was 1 month he slept fromm 11pm to 4 or 5 am and I was thrilled! I did not wake him, and let him come to me when he's hungry (well, wake me with his cries). Or rather, wake Dad and Dad would wake me as I am a deep sleeper ( :

I heard that when baby reaches 12 or 13 lbs, he is big enough to be able to sleep through the night!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 1:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Let HIM tell YOU when he needs to eat. Toss your clocks. Brastfed babies are NOT to be fed on a schedule. Sorry.

And please, no Babywise. The methods are linked to failure to thrive in infants.

At three months, he's due for a growth spurt so expect him to want to eat a lot, at all hours.

Please stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I never had my son on a schedule, when he was hungry I fed him day and night but soon he slept threw the night at about 1 month old...I was worried so I kept getting up to make sure he was breathing but never woke him. Feeding schedules are to be used as a guide for new moms to know when the baby will most likely be hungry and need nutrients but it is not set in stone. Be flexiable mom, he will be fine and will let you know when he is hungry
    Anonymous