• In the Spotlight:

How can i get my kids to drink water?

i have a5,4 and a 2 year old they all hate water i dont like it that much but i drink it cuz i know its healthy but if i give it to them in any manner a fancy cup a sports bottle they just wont touch it.

mommakitty1986

Asked by mommakitty1986 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Food & Drink

• My kids are also 2, 4, and 5, lol. They like drinking it from bottles...we get the Nestle brand. They usually fight over them. When they were smaller, we'd put ice cubes in their sippy cups or sports bottles because they liked the noise...it made all the difference! It really made them think they has something special in their cups, haha.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Try water with taste. Still healthy, just tastes better. :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My kids like the flavored water.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Try adding a drop or two of juice to give the water color and flavor. Or just start serving it at every meal and snack.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I dont know how I did it but I do childcare out of my home and every child that has started with me hated water and now will drink it for their parents. I only offer milk once a day and juice rarely. The other times if they would like something to drink they get ice water. Its also easy to get them to drink it after playing outside. Its refreshing and cold. I guess that I also set an example and only drink water myself. I always have and now that I am pregnant the kids constantly see me with a cup of ice water. The fun in my home is that they get to help get the ice and water from the dispenser on the outside of the fridge. I personally do not like to flavor and cover up things that are naturally good. If you start doing that while they are young then they will never get used to drinking it plain. Just a few thoughts. Good luck!
    Nluvwitasailor

Answer by Nluvwitasailor at 11:52 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• One thing to try: don't offer other beverages. Refrain from buying soda or juice. My son and daughter always said they didn't like water, but then we got a reverse osmosis filter, and now everyone drinks it every day. If you're not liking the water either, maybe it's time to consider a water filter?
    Also, I personally need ice in my water, even in the winter. Maybe that will help.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My LOs drink flavored water, some have no sugar but we get the one with a little. Caprisun Roaring waters, that's all they drink now. I know it's healthier than a "juice box" and they think it's a treat!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• if you put a slice or two of fresh fruit in water, and let it "steep" it is flavourful and healthy :) you can try strawberries, grapes, kiwi, etc
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 3:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2008