Cellulitis or MRSA

Ok so I went to the emergency room today because I was having fainting spells. I was treated for that but while I was there I asked about a swollen, painful lump on my leg. The doctor told me it looked like either MRSA or Cellulitis. So I did some research on them and found out that if it is either one both should be treated right away if they've reached the point that mine has. Especially since I'm 27 weeks pregnant! But the doctor didn't give me any antibiotics like they say he should have. I'm calling to make an appointment with my OB tomorrow for a check up, is this something that he could help me with or should I go back to the hospital? Has anyone had any experience with this?

bchic24

Asked by bchic24 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Health

• MRSA is nothing to mess with, i would go to the dr asap, he should have gave you something!!!!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 12:12 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Call your OB tonight. He/She will instruct you on how to proceed.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• You are doing right by following up with your OB because he can help treat it better than an ER doc. The only way to find out if you have MRSA is to have your lump cultured and then the doctors can determine what type of bacteria it is and what type of antibiotics can treat it. Are you experiencing fever, chills, red streaking from the lump? Is it warm to touch? Is your baby moving around okay?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My mom had MRSA in her knee joint, and then a year later during her knee replacement, they thought it had come back. I was pregnant, so I called to ask what I should do if I was exposed. Here's what I was told- MRSA during pregnancy is not as bad as it sounds, as long as you are not close to delivery. If exposed, they can treat with antibiotics before you deliver. (If you deliver, then you and baby have to be quarentined, or something- it was 2+ years ago I'm sorry I don't remember specifics). So being 27 weeks, even if you did have MRSA, it would be OK. Definitely call the doctor!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 12:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2010